Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1112/2130
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Print head cleaning utility is missing. Is this not an option with this printer? I have installed the latest driver, 2.8.0.117.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @cerr5000,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the print head cleaning utility is missing.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I would like to inform you that these printers don’t have a separate print head. The cartridges on these printers have a print head integrated.

Follow the below steps to clean the ink cartridges.

1. Load U.S. Letter or A4 size, unused, plain paper into the input tray.
  2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it not already on.
  3. Open or search for the HP folder in your list of installed software programs, click the folder for your printer, and then click the name of your printer. The HP Printer Assistant software opens.
  4. On the HP Printer Assistant window, click Maintain Your Printer.
  5. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Clean Ink Cartridges (https://support.hp.com/doc-images/346/c04550988.gif).
  6. Once the cleaning cycle completes, click Print.

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The_Fossette

Thank you for your reply. As directed, I went to the HP folder in applications and the only file in the folder is the HP Utility program. There is no specific printer folder. When I open the HP Utility file, I get the attached menu. A Deskjet 2130 run on another iMac has the same issue. 

Doug

IMG_2838.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @cerr5000,

I recommend you remove the printer from your computer and then download and run the HP easy start software.

http://hp.care/2DlqMeI

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I installed the easy start software but the print untility still does not show a printer head clean icon.

HP Recommended

Hi @cerr5000,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have installed HP Easy start software and still having the issue with the print utility missing. Don't worry as I have a few other suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Just wanted to check if you had the print utility option before?

When was the last time it worked?

Have you tried to click on the next tab which is all settings? To check if that option is available over there

Follow the steps below to uninstall the old printer drivers and then install the new drivers:

Uninstall the old printer drivers first. Follow the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2cKwLyC

Now run the Apple Software Update. Check here for steps: http://hp.care/2cNgw3C

Restart your computer and printer.

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list.

Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip to download and install the printer driver

In the “Add printer” window, make sure you add the printer as mentioned below:

Click the “Add button” (+).

Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went through the procedure you discribed but the clean print head icon is still missing. I have never seen this utility with the 1112 and 2130 printers. It has never been a problem with other HP printers I have used.

HP Recommended

Hi @cerr5000

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh and @The_Fossette, but they are out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service.I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation.

Since the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Phone Support for Service Options.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I contacted HP phone support and the issue was not resolved. It seems no one at HP can say whether this printer supports a clean printhead utility in Mac OS. The default is that it should be there. I would suggest that HP connect this printer to a mac and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Hi @cerr5000

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.  They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.