Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello:

I am running an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier All-in-One Printer and recently I have started having problems with the document feeder. It still registers when a document is sitting there, but when I choose "Scan" it makes a really loud, short grinding noise and says I need to reload the document and try again. I have also noticed that the roller is not lowering itself, it is already lowered when I place documents in now. I think this may be the problem.

I am also having the "Pump Motor Stall" error when I reboot the device.

Any idea how I can fix this? I scan a lot of documents in the office and the document feeder is pretty crucial for time management.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ddehner523, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you're having issues regarding your paper feed.  I'd like to help!

I would recommend removing the ink cartridges from the printer, and perform a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also suggest plugging the printer power into a different wall outlet.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @ddehner523, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you're having issues regarding your paper feed.  I'd like to help!

I would recommend removing the ink cartridges from the printer, and perform a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also suggest plugging the printer power into a different wall outlet.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

I tried this, and unfortunately it didn't solve my problem, but I think it will be helpful to someone else looking for the answer. Our printer decides it wants to work when it wants to work, so after multiple resets and failed attempts to scan with the document feeder, I gave up and tried again another day, and sure enough it decided it wanted to work. All in all, this printer is a major pain in my butt. We just had the issue arise where the Magenta/Cyan printhead has failed; we can no longer print blue. Rather than replacing the printhead, we will invest in a newer printer. Hopefully, there aren't as many kinks in the next one.

HP Recommended

The document feeder solution you provided does not work, The printer scans single copies, but the document feeder remain dead as a door nail. I still need some help, but there is no phone number for hp technical support. I am very frustrated MJTERCY

HP Recommended

How could taking out the ink and unplugging the printer possibly help the document feeder?  That cannot be a serious solution. 

HP Recommended

Just wondering if you got your problem solved, sounds just teh problem we're ahving right now
with our  8600 series.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.