Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
F4480
Microsoft Windows XP

Nothing wrong with the cartridges. Software reinstalled 2x, including with startup sw disabled. All previous HP sw uninstalled/deleted.

Installation results in fatal error MSI.FlashPlayer, error 1722.

Any ideas? Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Phred7,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

Try the following solutions in the order presented to resolve the issue. When one of the solutions resolves the issue, there is no need to continue troubleshooting. 

NOTE: Some of the following solutions require the full HP software. If you did not install the full software when you installed your product, click here to go to the software and drivers page, and then download and install the full feature software.

• Solution one: Use genuine HP cartridges

• HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to the HP anti-counterfeit webpage (in English).
  • Solution two: Allow the All-in-One to rest

• Sometimes, print-quality issues can be resolved during a period of inactivity. Consider waiting for about 40 minutes, and then try the print job again.
  • If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.
  •  
  • Solution three: Check the paper
  • Use the following guidelines to make sure that the paper you are using is appropriate for the print job. If it is not, reload the product with an appropriate paper type.

• Load the paper print side down in the input tray. Many papers have printing and nonprinting sides, such as photo paper and envelopes. Usually, the smoother side is the "print side," and sometimes the non-print side has a logo of the paper manufacturer on it.

• Do not use wrinkled or curled paper. Use only clean, wrinkle-free paper.
  • Do not use wrinkled paper

• Use the correct paper type for your project.
  • For everyday text documents, plain paper with ColorLok technology works well. Paper with ColorLok technology is industry-standard paper that works well with HP ink.
  • ColorLok logo
  • For documents with dense printing, such as high contrast graphics or photos, use HP Advanced Photo Paper for best results.
  • Some paper might not absorb ink as well as others. If your prints smear easily, make sure you are using a recommended paper.

• Store photo paper in its original packaging inside a resealable plastic bag. Store the paper on a flat surface in a cool, dry place. Load 10-20 sheets of photo paper only when you are ready to print, and then put the unused paper back in the packaging.

• Try using a different paper. This determines if the problem is related to the paper.
  • NOTE: Inappropriate paper usually causes vertical streaks in printouts (or if the problem occurs on a copy, dirty scanner glass usually causes the issue). Do not replace cartridges to fix vertical streaks.

Click here for the remaining steps. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The issue is not with the cartridges or paper. This printer has worked properly in the (distant) past and the carts are new. I have also carefully cleaned the contacts for the color cart in the carriage unit.

I will check the link for the software when I awaken this afternoon.

I have been installing the HP sw from the CD-ROM that came with the printer. I have no need for some items and so haven't installed everything (this laptop doesn't go online for anything, for example) but that wasn't a problem when it worked fine before. The main part of the printer sw generates the fatal error message at the end of its installation, then the installer proceeds to the next module with no problem.

Thanks for your response and I will check in again after checking out that link.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.