Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser MFP 178nw

Bought my printer a little over a year ago, and it has worked perfectly. Until now - a vague ghost image appears on every page I print now, starting 19 cm down the page. I heard ghost images are rather common in printers, so I guess I need help identifying the faulty part so I know if I can replace it myself.

Thanks!

HP Print & Scan Doctor Test PageHP Print & Scan Doctor Test Page

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ordered a new  Imaging Drum (120A/W1120A) and replaced the old one, and finally the ghost images are gone

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @LBrands,

Welcome to HP Support Community. 

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I see that you are facing ghost image printing issues with your HP Color Laser MFP 178nw.

Please download and install the firmware update by following the steps from this document.  (Click on the word document to open the web page).

Let me know if this works.
Take care and have a good day ahead.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi @Rainbow23,

I updated the Firmware to the latest version, but sadly the ghosting problems remain...

Now though - after frenetically searching the web for other sollutions - I do suspect it's the Imaging drum that is faulty, since it's circumpherence seem to match the distance the ghost image starts appearing.

I also did check the printer info - through HP Smart - and as it seems I haven't even printed a thousand pages yet, so the drum should technically be good for at least another 10k pages...

Thanks anyways

PS For anyone else trying to update the Firmware: seems the login to the printer's web interface isn't 'admin/blank', but 'admin/WPS PIN' DS

HP Recommended

Hi @LBrands,

This could be a hardware issue with the unit and may need repair. 

I suggest that you contact HP Service Center in your location from this weblink: https://support.hp.com/us-en/help/service-center 
Note: Select your country from the dropdown,  enter the city or postal code, select the product, change the radius, and click on search to locate the nearest HP Service center near your location.

Hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Measure the distance between the repetitive defects and use that measurement with the chart below to determine what component is causing the problem

Repairatrooper_0-1674480867329.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper,

Thanks! I actually saw that image prior to my post, and since the distance of the repetetive pattern on my prints far exceeds even the last line of the table, it didn't help much I'm afraid.

The ghost image starts approximately 190 mm/7,5 inch down the page.

HP Recommended

Ordered a new  Imaging Drum (120A/W1120A) and replaced the old one, and finally the ghost images are gone

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.