Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet F2180
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have the following problem with my HP DeskJet F2180 All-in-One printer:

Without any cartridges the printer's "Check cartridge" orange led keeps blinking. The printer's software center detects that there are no cartridges in the device (I think this is a good sign).

I have a new HP 21 black cartridge that I want to use with my printer. After I insert it, the "Check cartridge" light is still blinking, and I can't even print a test page. The printer's software center says "Cartridge failure" (If my translation is correct - I use the hungarian language of the software center).

I checked and cleaned the printer's and the cartridge's contacts. I've checked at least 50 instructions about this problem. The problem is still the same. I use the latest drivers available (for Windows 10 x64, on a HP ProBook 4520s). After 24 hours of searching, testing and sleeping at the front of my computer, I thought it is time to write this down.

I don't want to buy another new cartridge or a printer, I simply cannot afford it, because they are too expensive. For expample: A HP 21+ HP 22 cartridge kit's price is almost the same as a used HP ProBook 4520s in mint condition. I want to get this thing work again.

So, here are my questions:

A - Is it possible to reset the F2180 printer? If yes, how?

B - Is it possible to reset the cartridges? If yes, how?

C - Is it possible to re-flash the printer's firmware to make this thing work? If yes, how?

I hope I wrote everything here that might helps.

Thank you,

pingvin66666

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pingvin66666

Hi,

as @Raj1788 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

NOTE: If you're going to connect the printer via USB, then do not connect it initially. Begin the installation first and later there will be a prompt to connect the printer. That's when you may connect the printer.

Let me know if you have attempted to clean the ink cartridges and the printer carriage contacts manually:

Photograph of the cartridge contacts.

Figure : The carriage

Photograph of the carriage                                                                          

Figure : The gold-colored contacts in the carriage

Photograph of the contacts in the carriage

If already cleaned then let us attempt to reset the printer to its factory condition. A private message has been sent to you with the reset instructions. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @pingvin66666,

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
This is a great place to get support, find answers 

I understand that your that the cartridge is not working and lights were blinking
No worries, I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridge?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, click here for further assistance.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Said that, if I have helped you resolve the issue.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj1788

Thank you for your reply.

I've already tried this method, but the problem still persists. I checked the page about blinking lights when I tried to solve the problem on my own, but it did not helped me at all. 😞

Is there any button combination to stop the blinking "Check cartridge" light?

HP Recommended

@pingvin66666

Hi,

as @Raj1788 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

NOTE: If you're going to connect the printer via USB, then do not connect it initially. Begin the installation first and later there will be a prompt to connect the printer. That's when you may connect the printer.

Let me know if you have attempted to clean the ink cartridges and the printer carriage contacts manually:

Photograph of the cartridge contacts.

Figure : The carriage

Photograph of the carriage                                                                          

Figure : The gold-colored contacts in the carriage

Photograph of the contacts in the carriage

If already cleaned then let us attempt to reset the printer to its factory condition. A private message has been sent to you with the reset instructions. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello MKazi

Thank your very much for your reply.

I've checked and cleaned the contacts on the printer and on the cartridge too. I think I was able to reset the printer with the method that you've sent to me, however the blinking light problem still persists.

My seventh sense tells me that the new cartridge is the cause of my problem, but in 1 or 2 months I'll be able to get another genuine cartridge to test the printer again.

Until then I must pause my experiments for a few weeks.

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

@pingvin66666

You're most welcome. 

Sure, feel free to keep me posted for any further assistance. You may continue the steps as conveniently as possible.

It's an honor to share this platform with you. 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi I have the same problem with my printer. Did you find any solution?

HP Recommended

Hello! 

I bought a new ink cartridge, the first ink cartridge was the problem in my case. I have no problems at all, since I replaced it.

I will send you  the reset instructions in private that you can try out.

HP Recommended

Can you please send me instructions how to reset F2180. I tried method from the manual but it doesn't work. Cartridge diode is still blinking red. Even when I put new original HP 21 ink cartridge.

HP Recommended

Hello Jergus

This is the original pm that I received back then:

"Below mentioned are the steps to reset the printer:

1. Unplug the power cord from the unit.
  2. Reconnect the power cord into the unit.
  3. When the lights begin to flash, press and hold the Power and Cancel buttons.
  4. When only the On/Resume light is flashing, release the buttons.
  5. When the On/Resume light is steady, the reset is complete

If the issue persists then you may contact out HP phone support team to seek the replacement options of the ink cartridges. The original Ink cartridges come with a warranty. 

A firmware update is currently unavailable for this HP printer.

All the best! "

I hope it helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.