Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7858
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to install the wireless driver for my new HP Envy 7858 printer. It found the printer and started the installation, but after it appeared to finish file 1 of 11, it displayed the message shown below. It then asked me if I

want to submit the error report and search for a solution, which I did. It came back and told me it had found  a solution, but basically it started over, only to fail at the same point.  

The first time, it gave me an error message about some registry key but the second time through it didn't give me an error message, only the failure message. What should I do?

I am on an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7.

Edit: I managed to install the printer driver using the control panel, but I don't have any of the software.

downloadFailure1.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ros2004

Please download and install the following software

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/EN7800/EN7800_Full_WebPack_44.3.2218.exe

Note: All Envy 785x printers use same software and drivers for the whole series.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ros2004

Please download and install the following software

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/EN7800/EN7800_Full_WebPack_44.3.2218.exe

Note: All Envy 785x printers use same software and drivers for the whole series.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you but I tried that and the same thing happened - the error message is below. It failed after the first file.

Right now, the basic driver is installed and I am able to print. However I cannot scan or do anything else.

downloadFailure2.JPG

HP Recommended

I also downloaded the app to my phone. While I'm pleased to be able to print photos directly from my phone, I still don't see a way to use the printer to scan. When I selected the scan option on the printer, it told me to download the software to my pc or mobile device.

HP Recommended

@ros2004

Are you the admin of your computer ? Please try to install agein:

(a) right click to the downloaded file above

(b) and select run as administrator.

For mobile devices, please use Google Play or Apple Store to install HP Smart app then use this app to print/scan.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

I ran as administrator and it still failed at the second file. I had also previously run the HP troubleshooter and turned off all startup services etc. as advised, but it didn't make any difference.

The other problem is, once the installer fails, it cleans up everything that had been done before, so my driver that I had previously installed gets uninstalled. The only way I have found to install the printer driver is from the Devices and Printers control panel.

Yes, I had installed the app on my phone. I finally figured out how to scan - I couldn't find that option at first.

HP Recommended

Something strange happened. After a day not doing anything with the computer, I logged on this morning and it decided it was going to reset my desktop and load the default user profile instead of mine. The HP Envy printer and scan icons appeared on the desktop. I was able to print, set up the fax, and perform a scan. BUT, all the printer shortcuts were locked and I could not access my own files, shortcuts, etc! After researching this problem, I fixed the profile in the register and much to my relief, got my own profile back with all my settings. 

I am able to print and scan, but now all the shortcut icons are still locked. I uninstalled and reinstalled the device driver from the control panel, but the problem is still there.

Edit: It seems the lock icon on the shortcuts don't mean anything. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, BH. I guess somewhere along the line the installation actually worked even though it kept telling me it had failed after installing the first file. It must have installed the shortcuts for the printer and scanner on my desktop at some point but I didn't see them because my desktop is set to small icons and is rather cluttered. When it decided to load the default profile instead of mine, I saw the icons! :Glasses:

Update:

I spoke too soon. It appears that only the basic drivers were installed. The additional printer software and IRIS scanner were apparently the ones that were giving me the error message because I when I tried to install those options, it gave me the same error message about not having access (I am the admin on this laptop).

The file I downloaded is: HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers - PS_AIO_02_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe

Is there a way to run the specific software installation files individually? How do I find the extracted file? 

HP Recommended

Problem solved.

After numerous attempts at reinstalling and failed messages each time, the IRIS software magically appeared on my desktop and so the only remaining software that didn't get installed was HP Photo Creations. 

After doing some research and getting advice on the Windows forum, I went into the registry and gave the proper permissions to the key being referred to in the error message. However, even doing that wouldn't let me complete the the installation. Finally, I googled HP Photo Creations and was able to locate and download it directly, without going through the HP package installer. That was so much easier! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.