Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

The printer won't even do anything, forget trying to print. I can't even get it to let me replace the ink cartridge because it won't do anything when this error pops up. When I turn it on, regardless of how I turned it off, it says that I didn't turn it off properly, then it "performs self-maintenance," tells me to check the paper tray for a paper jam that does not exist, tries to self-maintenance again, and then pops up the error and refuses to do anything.

It was working fine just a few days ago.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @FranCoriK ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you're dealing with a frustrating issue with your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer. The error code 0x6100004a usually indicates a hardware problem or a communication issue between the printer and the computer. 

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

• Restart the Printer: Sometimes, a simple restart can clear out temporary glitches. Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on again.
  • Check for Paper Jams: Even if you've already checked, go through the paper path again to ensure there are no small shreds of paper stuck anywhere. Even the tiniest piece of paper can cause errors.
  • Reset the Printer: You can try resetting the printer to its default settings. To do this, find the reset button on your printer (usually a small hole that you can press with a paperclip) and press and hold it for about 10 seconds. Refer to your printer's manual for specific instructions on how to perform a reset.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Sometimes, updating the printer's firmware can resolve various issues. Visit the HP website, locate the support section for your printer model, and download the latest firmware update. Follow the instructions provided to install the update. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Check Ink Cartridges: Ensure that the ink cartridges are properly installed and are not empty. If you suspect that a particular cartridge might be causing the issue, try removing it and restarting the printer to see if the error persists without that cartridge.
  • Check for Software Issues: If you're trying to print from a computer, ensure that the printer drivers are up to date. You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers to rule out any software-related issues.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

1. I have already tried restarting the printer many times. Even when using the button, it says that I didn't shut it down correctly the previous time. I shut it off with the button, left it unplugged for a full day, plugged it back in, and it still complained that I "didn't shut it down properly" even though I did.

2. There is no paper jam and there are no shreds of paper. If the last item I had printed had come out missing a chunk, I would absolutely have already removed it from the printer. However, this is a nice printer and it has never shredded paper when printing.

3. I did try to factory reset the printer after reading through your comment, and it unfortunately did not work. Same error

4. The printer has no available updates, and printer information within HP Smart says that the firmware was last updated on April 12, 2024, so it is definitely new firmware.

5. Part of the reason I am extra frustrated with this issue is that I just received a K (black) ink cartridge refill from HP Instant Ink, because the K ink is nearly empty, and encountered this error as soon as I went to install it. The ink carriage refuses to move to the center of the rail for me to replace the ink with.

6. This has zero to do with my PC or software. I was not even trying to print anything when this issue occurred. The last thing I used my printer for was to scan something, not print, so it is a mystery to me why this error is popping up now.

I attempted to follow steps given by the HP Virtual Assistant a few minutes ago, the steps being as follows:

1. Press the power button to turn off the printer.

2. With the printer off, open the cartridge access door.

3. Turn the power on and wait for the carriage to move.

4. With the printer on, unplug the printer from power.

5. Remove the ink cartridges and set them aside. It might be necessary to manually slide the carriage to access the cartridges.

6. With the access door still open, turn the printer on, and then wait for the printer to complete the start-up sequence.

7. Once the error has cleared and the carriage moves to the center of the opening, install the cartridges. If the error does not clear, repeat these steps until the error no longer displays.

While I was not able to follow these steps exactly due to my issue interfering with the ink carriage, I was able to grab the ink carriage and pull it out of the corner finally; it hadn't moved at all this entire time, so perhaps it was stuck? I removed the ink cartridges as suggested by the HP Virtual Assistant to see if that would do anything, but the printer barely cares about them with how upset it is with whatever error it's having.

I noticed that there is a hook latch behind the spot where the carriage stays most of the time, and I moved it just to see how it would affect the printer. The ink carriage was finally moving freely back and forth inside the printer, but it continued to say "please clear any paper jams and ensure that the paper tray is installed correctly," and every time I pressed "okay," the carriage would slide back and forth a few times before the same message appeared again. I powered off then on using the button, and it once again told me I didn't shut it down correctly and then gave me the same 0x6100004a error all over again.

HP Recommended

Hi @FranCoriK ,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your efforts. As the issue persists, I am sorry to hear that  This needs one-on-one interaction  I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

You're never going to believe this, but I just fixed the printer using a tiny hair elastic.

Before

AC79doz

After

xoQhJkE

The error is completely cleared and the printer performed self-maintenance and then settled into the usual standby screen.

Sure, maybe this will backfire on me later, but for right now it's working and I'm just so slap-happy satisfied with my jerry-rigging job.

HP Recommended

Hi @FranCoriK,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad the issue is resolved.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.