Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

We have one PC in the house, a Lenovo desktop that consistently fails to print. We also have a Dell XPS machine that remains connected to the printer all the time. For me this rules out a wireless network issue as the Dell and mobile devices can always print. On the Lenovo printer I have cleared out drivers and HP Smart multiple times, stopped and restarted spooling and every time, HP Smart loads without issue but whenever I try to print, the spool reports error. I can ping the printer from the PC without any issues.

HP0897E9 (HP OfficeJet Pro 8710) HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 PCL-3

WSD-98266e8e-387c-4bd1-8d66-74daac8e7960 Local Server

Product Name HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 Product Number M9L70A Product Serial Number [Personal Information Removed]

From the embedded web server page I can print a Self Test Page but anything Windows, even a quick notepad file just errors. I imagine there is some type of driver issue.

I note this from the PrintService operational event viewer#;

The print job 8 was sent through the print processor MS_XPS_PROC on printer HP0897E9 (HP OfficeJet Pro 8710), driver HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 PCL-3, in the isolation mode 0 (0 - loaded in the spooler, 1 - loaded in shared sandbox, 2 - loaded in isolated sandbox). Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 0x0.

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-PrintService       [ Guid] {747ef6fd-e535-4d16-b510-42c90f6873a1}
      EventID 842       Version 0       Level 4       Task 50       Opcode 11       Keywords 0x4000000000040000     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-10-25T10:43:33.9844453Z
      EventRecordID 1       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 15744       [ ThreadID] 16756
      Channel Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Operational       Computer Lenovo-PC     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-21-1094899171-610794444-1064433319-1001

- UserData

- PrintDriverSandboxJobPrintProc
      JobId 8       Processor MS_XPS_PROC       Printer HP0897E9 (HP OfficeJet Pro 8710)       Driver HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 PCL-3       IsolationMode 0       ErrorCode 0x0

I have enabled Full Control on C:\Windows\System32\spool also.

So, I am pretty much out of ideas on how to fix this. Any help appreciated. thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur, thank you for the comprehensive reply, we are on the same page as I have tried many of the options you have detailed below. It appears that the issue was related to Windows user account permissions. The only user on the PC was a local admin account, which you would think would be fine. The issue mainly appeared in the Windows Printer list where the device would just become 'unavailable' and spool errors would occur. Keeping in mind that HP Smart could print test pages all day, only Windows had an issue printing. So, I read some more posts, mainly around Group Policy issues but decided to create a MSFT account for the local user. Once I had created an 'MSFT' account and confirmed again the user was a local admin, I was able to reinstall the drivers and confirmed the printer was available in Windows. I am sure there is a logical explanation for this and I did check that the local account had Full Control of the printer, spooler, driver folder and system, but still the printer would not function. The only reason I looked at the account was that some posts did suggest it was a permissions issue to the spool services, drivers and the printer. It seems resolved now, although still strange as to why a simple local admin, non-MSFT account could not utilise the printer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur, thank you for the comprehensive reply, we are on the same page as I have tried many of the options you have detailed below. It appears that the issue was related to Windows user account permissions. The only user on the PC was a local admin account, which you would think would be fine. The issue mainly appeared in the Windows Printer list where the device would just become 'unavailable' and spool errors would occur. Keeping in mind that HP Smart could print test pages all day, only Windows had an issue printing. So, I read some more posts, mainly around Group Policy issues but decided to create a MSFT account for the local user. Once I had created an 'MSFT' account and confirmed again the user was a local admin, I was able to reinstall the drivers and confirmed the printer was available in Windows. I am sure there is a logical explanation for this and I did check that the local account had Full Control of the printer, spooler, driver folder and system, but still the printer would not function. The only reason I looked at the account was that some posts did suggest it was a permissions issue to the spool services, drivers and the printer. It seems resolved now, although still strange as to why a simple local admin, non-MSFT account could not utilise the printer.

HP Recommended

@DaveSJA 

You are welcome.

The permission error makes sense - HP Smart in particular dislikes when an account lacks the proper structure and sign-in permissions necessary to use the application.  There are a couple of "gotcha" locations in the account, both of which reside in the AppData hierarchy.

Curious about the full driver software refusing to track the local admin privileged account.  I always keep a couple of admin-type local accounts available on each system (for the obvious cover-thy-backside reasons).  I might take a look out of curiosity.  

I've removed my original message - it was long and immaterial to the solution in this case - an unnecessary distraction.

Appreciate the Helpful / Kudo, of course.  Smiling.

If your solution mark is missing on your post, please re-add it...

Thanks for posting back.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.