Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP 4620 Multifunction printer will go to sleep after 10 minutes and refuses to wake up for either network activity, incoming fax, or if I press the power button (short or long press). The network blue light is on and steady, the power button slowly flashing green, but the only way to make it come back on is to unplug it and then plug it back in and turn on the power button. It works fine until it goes to sleep and then nothing. Filed a report with tech support earlier in the week, but no reply. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I am downloading the update, but I thought I would give you all an update. I moved to another city here in Oklahoma and opened a new DSL account with AT&T. This necessitated buying a new modem. I had not used the HP for several months and was about ready to throw it out and buy another brand. But since I had the new modem, I thought I would try it and low and behold, the printer now works like it should! So for me the problem was the AT&T wireless modem. I probably have the old one packed away somewhere still, but the new modem is an NVG510 model 9/18/2012. The other modem was about three years old.

Hope this helps someone else; the problem is now solved for me. Best wishes!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

It may sound strange, but set a static IP address for the printer as outlined in step six of this document.

What may be happening is that the printer stops communicating with the router using DHCP (automatic IP) settings, so it thinks it is not connected to anything useful and enters a power save mode to avoid wasting energy.  Setting a static IP address tells the printer to not use DHCP and that it will always have the proper network information to prevent it from ever entering power save mode.  

I had not seen this issue previously with a newer model printer, but it may be worth contacting HP phone support as they may have some additional steps I may not be aware of.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I have already set a static IP for the printer, thinking it would be better to do so for e-print. I have already sent in a service request [removed for privacy] to HP on September 22nd, and have received no reply. I am thinking if this were a power saver mode, it should wake when the power button is pressed, shouldn't it?

HP Recommended

It seems it should, but that is not always the case.

I have seen a few cases on older printers where it would enter standby mode and do exactly as you had described.  In those cases (in my experience), setting a static IP address has prevented it from going beyond sleep mode.

Was the static IP address set in the printer as the document described or was it set using the more common practice of setting the static IP address in the router?

I unfortunately do not have access to the reference numbers.  A consumer reference number in the U.S. and Canada starts with a 8 and commercial support starts with a 4. That reference number is either for a commercial support request, this is a consumer model printer, or for a different reference system not used in the U.S. and Canada.  If you find the support request you submitted is not receiving a response in a timely fashion, then I recommend contacting HP phone support as it is more immediate.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

My problem was quite similar to this.  Once the printer would go to sleep the only way to get it to print again was to turn it off and back on.  I set a static IP address in the printer itself and the problem appears to have resolved itself and the printer still goes into power saver mode.

As far as having to unplug then plug your printer back in to get it to wake up sounds like a hardware issue that should be covered under some type of warrantee from HP

HP Recommended

Here it is 5/21/2013 and this issue has never been resolved.  Seriously thinking of ditching all my HP printers with the poor support I have gotten to fix this issue.  I too have used the printer and scan doctor, reset the IP, created a static IP...  Printer works great until it goes into hibernate.  It will not accept incoming faxes or print jobs from my laptop.  If I turn the printer off and then back on...again works great until it goes into hibernate.

POS HP printer.

Russ:smileymad:

HP Recommended

There appears to be a firmware update (Version:CWM1FN1240AR) released 11/19/2012 to fix or enhance:

"1) Enhance performance of ADF Copy/Scan using legal media. 

2) Improves WPA / WPA2 connectivity 
    3) Resolves intermitent Power Off screen freeze issue"

Have you tried updating the firmware yet?  If not, click this link, select your operating system, download, and follow on-screen instructions to update the printer.  I really hope this fixes it for you!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I am downloading the update, but I thought I would give you all an update. I moved to another city here in Oklahoma and opened a new DSL account with AT&T. This necessitated buying a new modem. I had not used the HP for several months and was about ready to throw it out and buy another brand. But since I had the new modem, I thought I would try it and low and behold, the printer now works like it should! So for me the problem was the AT&T wireless modem. I probably have the old one packed away somewhere still, but the new modem is an NVG510 model 9/18/2012. The other modem was about three years old.

Hope this helps someone else; the problem is now solved for me. Best wishes!

HP Recommended

That is very good to know actually! Thank you for sharing that information.  I hope you're safe as well!!! Happy Printing!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended
My AT&T modem is 3600HGV. Do you know what your old modem model number was?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.