Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a similar question elsewhere in the HP forums. A friend of mine lives in a huge multi-building complex. Her Apple Express is plugged into the complex's ethernet port so that she can deliver wireless connectivity to her home. Her Express's wi-fi is password protected. 

I have her HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 connected wirelessly to her wi-fi network, however, a gentleman way across the area two blocks away has the abilitly to print to my friend's HP printer wirelessly from his iPad. Somehow the printer's connection is going through the ethernet connection to the entire complex because others in many buildings can see her printer.

Very strange.

HP Recommended

@GrampaDoodie wrote:

I have a similar question elsewhere in the HP forums. A friend of mine lives in a huge multi-building complex. Her Apple Express is plugged into the complex's ethernet port so that she can deliver wireless connectivity to her home. Her Express's wi-fi is password protected. 

I have her HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 connected wirelessly to her wi-fi network, however, a gentleman way across the area two blocks away has the abilitly to print to my friend's HP printer wirelessly from his iPad. Somehow the printer's connection is going through the ethernet connection to the entire complex because others in many buildings can see her printer.

Very strange.

Well yes.  Wired or wireless on the public network is the same thing.   Make sure the printers Wireless Direct is turned off in the printer.

Then you can secure her network like this...

Connect wireless printer anywhere, convert from wired, bypass failed wireless radio or add WPA2 security.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Connect-your-wireless-printer-when-away...

Her router may have this feature already.  Need to check.

HP Recommended

Just because you see the word 'secured' does not mean that it is secure from the devices that are connected to the same network. It is only secured from those that are not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.