Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Changed the ink cartridges and got Ink system failure.  Unable to print.  Error: Oxc18a0101 Printer not that old and not used that much.  Turned power off then on again did not help.  Unplugged power and USB also did not help. Looking for help!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Rating: 98%, 24 votes
*** Fix your HP Photosmart D7360 (Reset Code/Master Reset) ***

1- Turn off power and unplug from power source.
2- Open right side of printer (looking at the front).
3- Disconnect,by pulling gently, both white flat ribbon cables off the main circuit board.
4- Plug in power source and turn printer on. Wait till you get a error message and push "Ok".
5- Unplug power source.
6- Reconnect the flat ribbon cables by aligning and carefully pushing into the conectors on the main circuit board.
7- Plug in power source and turn printer on (Printer preparing occurred).
8- voila, the nasty error message 0xc18a0001 "Ink System has Failed" is now gone.
THIS WORKED!!!  Don't throw it out try this first for: Ink system failed Error:Oxc18a0101 on photosmart D7160. 
Message Edited by AJ on 01-28-2009 05:05 PM

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended
Did you ever get an answer? I just got that same error message tonight for the first time. My printer is about 2 years old. Any help?
HP Recommended
My printer is about 2 years old also!!  Still no help.  Keep me posted. Been told to throw it out. don't fix it.  Not ready to give up yet but don't know what to do..
HP Recommended

Hello AJ,

Don't turn it into junk yet.  

Please check out this link for the Ink System Failure problem.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/39471  

These are from the link above: 

Reset the system by holding down the OK, Cancel, Black, and Color buttons down at the same time and turn the 3310 off. Keep holding the buttons down until the printer shuts off and then turn it back on. You will have to turn the printer off twice and then it will recalibrate.

Our HP 3310 was having the same ink system failure. Tried everything I could find, and had just about given up when I found this forum. I didn't quite get the reset right the first time, but on the second try it worked. After holding down OK, Cancel, Black and Color buttons while turning it off, I turned it back on, it turned itself off and I turned it back on again, it started off doing the calibration and it took about 5 minutes, but when it was finished I had a working printer again.

Hope this works for you. Please let us know.

P.S.  We also let Kelly know about this...lol

kiwipint

Message Edited by kiwipint on 12-31-2008 02:22 PM
Message Edited by kiwipint on 12-31-2008 02:22 PM
HP Recommended

Rating: 98%, 24 votes
*** Fix your HP Photosmart D7360 (Reset Code/Master Reset) ***

1- Turn off power and unplug from power source.
2- Open right side of printer (looking at the front).
3- Disconnect,by pulling gently, both white flat ribbon cables off the main circuit board.
4- Plug in power source and turn printer on. Wait till you get a error message and push "Ok".
5- Unplug power source.
6- Reconnect the flat ribbon cables by aligning and carefully pushing into the conectors on the main circuit board.
7- Plug in power source and turn printer on (Printer preparing occurred).
8- voila, the nasty error message 0xc18a0001 "Ink System has Failed" is now gone.
THIS WORKED!!!  Don't throw it out try this first for: Ink system failed Error:Oxc18a0101 on photosmart D7160. 
Message Edited by AJ on 01-28-2009 05:05 PM
HP Recommended
This applies to your instructions re: photosmart D7360 Ink System Failure.  How can I open the right side as your instructions indicate?  Thanks.
Message Edited by Metstang on 01-31-2009 06:52 PM
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. It really worked!!  :generic:

I was on the phone with HP about this error and they were trying to sell me an upgrade. While I was waiting for their response, I joined the HP support and found this same error message and decided to try the solution. Wella!  It worked.

Thank You Thank You

HP Recommended
I have a C6150 and your solution worked for the Ink System Failure too!!! Thanks so much!!!  
HP Recommended

Well, I tried everything and nothing worked for my C7250 even that link said my error code was essentially a truly fatal error as even if the solution worked it was temporary at best. I think HP should be called out for continuing to produce printers of all models over the last few years with this same issue and rather than try to help you they just push a new printer on you. What does that say about their product or their attitude toward solving this issue. They sell more printers by not fixing this bug that ends the life of your printer sooner or later geez my printer lasted a whole  year and half

HP Recommended

I don't know what to tell you. I have had god luck with HP support. I just had another issue with an update download for my computer and they  sent me a link to repair the problem and it worked great.   :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.