Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserPrint Pro M28w
iOS

My printer has lost its connection with my home network. It's an HP Laser LaserPrint. I generally use it to print stuff I've written on an ipad, and it's worked very well since I bought it earlier this year, except that when I had a new modem/router from Virgin media I had some trouble reestablishing a connection, which I eventually did with advice from this forum, and the help of an Apple technician.

But today when I tried to print something the little blue wireless button just kept blinking. Evidently I need ti reestablish that wifi connection, but I can't remember how to set about doing that. With my old printer that was straightforward, but this model doesn't have a screen (a mistake I'll avoid in future). The Virgin technician was able to do it through my ipad, on remote control, but I got lost trying to follow what he was doing. If anyone can remind me of how to do it I'd be very grateful.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Geronius

Welcome to the HP support community.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1) Are the printer and phone connected to the same network?

2) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual-band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4)Are you getting any error messages?

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, 

Thanks for stepping in.

The printer and the iPad (not phone) were connected to the same home network. The iPad still is, but the printer appears to have lost any connection. The wireless button on the printer, which was steady, now just flashes away continuously every time the printer is turned on. Both of the Wavelengths are active on the router (a Virgin Media Superhub3). In fact my iPad keeps switching to the 2 without being asked - I find that it seems to be having some difficulty in loading a page etc, and I check and find it's done just that, and when I switch back to the 5and things get better.

I haven't seen any error messages on the iPad.

I had problems a few months ago when I changed from the Superhub two which I had been using very satisfactorily since I bought the printer. With the new hub3 I needed to link the printer to it again, and.  Just couldn't get the printer to link to the home network.  I needed to get an Apple technician to take over remotely, using my iPad, and he sorted everything quite rapidly. But right now live Apple  support seems hard to reach. (Maybe they've been affected by the pandemic.)

So I hope you can help me get things running again properly - or maybe advise me if it sounds as if there is something wrong with my Superhub3 or printer which would need a technician, or replacement.

HP Recommended

And I have the printer and my Superhub 3 placed about 1 metre apart..

HP Recommended

@Geronius

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. I will look out for a message and I hope  things can be sorted out.  it’s a nuisance not being able to print ing anything . Happy Christmas. Kevin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.