Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Officejet 4650 Goes to sleep and won't wake up or respond to on/off button or print request.  I have to unplug and plug back in to have the printer respond.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dlpetrella

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

Please check what the sleep mode as set as:

1. From the Home screen, touch ( Setup ). NOTE: If you do not see the Home screen, press the Home button. 2. Touch Power Handling. 3. Touch Sleep. 4. Touch After 5 minutes, or After 10 minutes, or After 15 minutes.

Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto-Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also, check your Printers Properties. (obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.

Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.)

If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer. This is done again on the EWS page.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried this but could not turn it off as the page displayed shows the following. Note 2 clearly indicates it cannot be updated. 

Please help as when I try to connect wirelessly I always have to unplug and plug in the printer in order to print.

The printer will automatically turn off after a period of inactivity to help reduce energy use. This feature is automatically disabled when the printer is connected to a computer or mobile device, a network, or a fax line (if supported).

Auto-Off turns the printer off completely, so you must use the power button to turn the printer back on.

Auto-Off
After 2 hours

Note:

1. After the printer has been turned off, it will not be able to print any documents (including documents sent using HP ePrint) or process any other jobs (such as faxes or scheduled deliveries, if your printer supports these options). These jobs can only be printed after the printer has been turned on again.
  2. The Auto-Off setting is preset and cannot be configured.
HP Recommended

Nsandrin,

I agree, the 'autosleep' feature cannot be turned off given the instructions.  I set mine to the maximum.  I also set the power button to 'power off' not sleep.  I also set the the ipv6 to 'off' as suggested.  Prior to this, I implementented several of the troubleshooting recommendations, but nothing seemed to work.  That was why I posted my issue,  I also found a way to set the sleep timer to '0'.  It is also suggested that you set a Static IP for the printer.  I think if you do a Google search on this problem, you can find these solutions. I haven't implemented either of these solutions yet.  I'm not sure what i did, but for now it seems to be waking up like its suppose to. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.