Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

After plugging in printer, it begins startup and then will not finish.  It cuts off for a second and then starts over.  This will go as long as I let it.  I have tried unplugging it, disconnecting USB, pulling out ink cartridges and replacing, but to no avail.

Another thread discussed this problem with the C6180 and a solution was to press the (#) and (6) buttons when powering up.  Unfortunately the C5180 has no number keypad.  Is there another set of buttons I might push to reset this thing?  Is there any way to reset and get the machine back to normal?  Thank you.

Quote from other thread below which EXACTLY describes my problem:

"It powers up and displays the HP logo and process bar animation for about one minute, followed by the message: "Improper Shutdown.  To avoid damage use the ON button to shut down the printer.  Do not use a power strip or wall switch to shut down.  Press OK".  Then it shuts down and starts back up again."

C6180 Thread:  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Macintosh&message.id=469&query.id=31613#M469

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To fix the loop problem on the c5180 I replaced a 330uf 10v cap on the control board and that brought it back to life.  Good luck with yours.

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74
HP Recommended

Add my printer to this problem. It was working fine one day and the next it started to cycle on and off. I did a proper shut-off by pushing the power button. The message that I occasionally get Is, "Turn power off then on again.C2FE0234." This displays while the 'Cancel' button and 'Power' button are rapidly flashing. The display screen is blue with a red rectangle in the upper left corner. When I press the power button, I get the hp logo on the display. After about 15 seconds, the power button goes off, the display screen still has the hp logo, the 'Cancel' button flashes, the power button come back on and the process starts all over again. The C6180 thead solution does not help because there is no number pad.

Just to add to the problem, the printer will cycle on/off with the cover OPEN and the ink cartridges exposed. Could this be a switch problem??

Message Edited by BicycleMan on 10-05-2009 09:20 AM
HP Recommended

Any solution guys?

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem.  After a "bad shutdown" the printer wouldn't turn on.  The power button light just kept flashing/blinking.  This fixed it...

1. Unplug the power cable from printer while the printer is powered on.

2. Press and hold OK and HELP buttons while plugging in the power cord. Wait for the screen to go black or blank before releasing the keys.

3. Just turn on the printer and configure your printer new

HP Recommended

Did this and got message "OOB NVM reset"

Screen is still in endless loop showing the hp logo screen and flashing after a while before restarting the loop

This is frustrating...according to all sources it seems that I need to throw away my printer

HP Recommended

Same problem here!  This thing is less than 3 years old.  This should not be happening, and I should NOT have to "Throw it away" and go buy a new one.  Somebody from HP should monitor these threads and give us a solution.  Period. 

Pissed off.

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, I would love some input from HP.  I have taken great care of this printer and have had very light use of it.  Nothing traumatic or even mildly out of the ordinary preceded this.  The printer just stopped functioning.   Not only do I have a useless $200 printer but over $100 worth of ink that I can't use.  Where are you HP?  Can we fix these things?

HP Recommended

I must say I had excellent help from the HP helpdesk, I clicked OK+Help to reset, I clicked left button+configuration to reset hardware...the only thing is...nothing worked, the printer is still rebooting after resetting all kind of stuff

so...maybe there is this tiny malfunctioning hardware but HP advises to buy a new one (they give a 25% voucher, max 40 euro) because it would be too expensive to repair : i can exchange for a new C5180 for 169.40€

HP Recommended

SAME HERE THE OK AND HELP BUTTON DOESN'T WORK. I GOT THE SAME THING FROM TECH SUPPORT. GET A NEW ONE. EVERY TIME I HAVE HAD DEALINGS WITH HP THE SAME THING COMES UP THEY WANT TO SELL ME A REPLACEMENT, OR A NEW ONE. THIS IS LAME AND I FIGURE IT IS SET IN THE EQUIPMENT TO DIE OR QUIT. I WILL NOT PURCHASE HP EQUIPMENT AGAIN......AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO SEE THAT ANYONE I KNOW WLL NOT BE PURCHASING IT EITHER. I KNOW BLA, BLA, BLA....BITCH BITCH....TO MUCH MONEY LOST ON THIS INFERIOR COMPANY. 

HP Recommended

Same C5180 recycling issue.   This happened after unplugging the HP for a few weeks.

Initially the recycling was infinite and silent, no motors advanced the scanning bar, and the same symptoms, flashing On led, a brief Error ! flash, then recycle.  

After following directions reported above, pressing the OK+HELP on a new power up, the printer shut down.

The next power on showed the characteristic OOB NVM Reset, which translates as a best guess based on a few score years in the business to Out-Of-Box Non-Volatile Memory Reset - not a good sign.   My guess is that NVRAM or flash gets clobbered pretty easily in this beast as the multiple posts and 1200 views indicate. 

Power on the next time  brought me to the nasty error window C2FE022D with the red sub-window in the left corner. Holding the left arrow and Setup buttons down got me to a prompt to enter the Manufacturing Key Combo, which I didn't know.  HP wants $40 to check into the problem.  And a support supervisor would not research whether they have ever fixed an OOB NVM Reset issue or whether they could find the Manufacturing Key Combo sequence.  He said it would take hours to search of 100s of thousands or reports.  I would have thought that the defect reports are in one of the dozen or so defect databases on the market that allow searches in seconds or sub-seconds.

Just my experiences.  Other manufacturers of electronic devices are probably playing the same games in these times.  As an alternative,  you could resurrect your darkroom, refurbish that old SLR, and pull out the manual typerwriter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.