Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Travis -

I hope you can help me.  I have tried all the steps on the documents you posted.  I still continue to get a "Print cartridge(s) missing or not detected" message on my C4580.  I have used compatible cartridges 74X and 75X from the same source before.  This is a new problem.  I actually installed replacement cartridges a few months ago with no problem.  All of a sudden they (at least the right black one) are not detected.  I've cleaned the contacts, reset the printer etc.  I put the previous one in and it works (although it is out of ink) but the new one had worked for almost two months.  Not sure why or what to do.

Thanks,

Dan

HP Recommended

the utube demo was helpful but it only allows me to print one document and then I have to repeat the fix. I just keep the steps written out on top of my printer, but there must be a permanent fix. I notice there are lots of people with the same problem for the two models of HP printers. This can't be good advertisement for HP printers. Unless HP can help with the problem and get me a permanent fix I will think twice before I buy one of their products in the future. 

HP Recommended
My problem is pretty much exactly what Dan above said. Why after being fine do they all of a sudden stop working? My current question goes away from the print cartridge a bit. It is possible this error is caused because wherever the ink goes from the cartridge into the print is clogged? As you can see, I have no knowledge about how this printer works, but I'm wondering if it is a feature of the printer itself rather than the "state of the cartridge" that is causing the error?

Thanks,
joanne
(carlnjo)
HP Recommended

@everyone

While the below sections are pointed at different users what is said may still be helpful and should be read.

Hello benderdan

It sounds like you have a defective cartridge if your older cartridge works (despite being out of ink), but the current one gives you an error. If your HP ink cartridge is in warranty you can contact HP and get it replaced.

HP Product Warranty Check

Else you should get a new HP ink cartridge.

----------

Hello Loggin

What youtube demo are you referring to? Could you post the link?

Also are you using Genuine HP ink or remanufactured/refilled ink?

Have you tried replacing the cartridge already?

----------

Hello carlnjo

What printer do you have?

Also are you using Genuine HP ink or remanufactured/refilled ink?

Have you tried replacing the cartridge already?

Typically I have seen this caused by dirty contacts, faulty/defective cartridges, or a hardware problem with the printer. The error stems from a problem with the ink cartridge as the error mentions and not the ink system.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

I love my HP C4280, but it suddenly stopped working today, offering the following info...

Print Cartridge Missing or not Detected

I've tried re-installing

cleaning

I'm now donw to the knocking/kicking option.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello BoobyTBoogie

If you have followed all the steps in the article "Incompatible Cartridge' or 'Print cartridge is missing, incorrectly installed, or not intended for y..." (including changing the ink cartridge(s) with new Genuine HP cartridges), then it sounds like a a hardware problem with the printer.

If you have not, try a new genuine HP cartridge to isolate the problem.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

hi,

I have, with a C4380,  the same problem that was reported by several users, for the black cartrige (H350XL)

- it worked fine for several months

- all of a sudden, I got the message "....not detected..."

- I put a photo cartridge (348) in the right slot, to check whether the problem came from the cartridge or

the printer:  it was detected.

- I put a new black cartridge: OK. It worked fine, but after 3 days, same problem "..not detected..."

- the photo cartridge still  works

It's really difficult to understand where the problem comes from.

HP Recommended

So far this 'reset' procedure from youtube has given our c4580 a temporary reprieve from being tossed into the e-waste bin: www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzrPLMqDNc

The next time it issues that message it will not be so fortunate;  I can't afford to spend $50 on replacement ink cartridges as an experiment.

HP Recommended

I noticed that  i got that message after inserting new ink cartridges. Looking at the bottom of the cartridge I noticed fragments of  the   orange plastic of the twist-off ink  cap stuck to the bottom to the ink cartridge. After I shaved them off with the blade of penknife( or scissors) and reinstalled them the cartridges worked fine, though the printer did say they were used cartridges.

HP Recommended

The Youtube protocol allowed printing an alignment page (Iʻm in set-up), but I had to follow it again to print a scan.  Boo hoo!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.