Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Looking through the list of printers that seem affected, they are all older devices (2011ish).  These were all designed around an older AirPrint specification.  This earlier spec did not report the paper size in the printer back to AirPrint on the device.  I am wondering if this is related to that.

If Apple's response posted previously about AirPrint on iOS 11 ALWAYS defaulting to 3x5 then this may be the crux of the issue. It would appear that previously they would default to A size (Letter/A4) from the web or just based on the document type being printed.  These older printers all worked with iOS 10.3.3.

Newer printers supporting the newer AirPrint specifications (around 2013) will report back the paper size (with some exceptions) and do not seem to be affected.

Early adoption can have it's challenges for developers as well as end users.  😕

I am still investigating this.

I am having trouble tracking down one of these older printers.

If anyone on here can check something, it might help us out.

Open the embedded web server for the printer by putting the IP address of the printer into a browser.

Look for a setting labeled Paper Settings and the Default Paper Size.  I am going to assume these all show US Letter.  But wanted to verify.  If it is not then set the default to US Letter and try printing again.

Just wanted to drop a note to this thread and let you know I am investigating this. 

Sorry it took this long to bubble up.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Just saw the post from @owenmj78 if anyone else gets a chance to test this and confirm it please let this thread know!

HP Recommended
Hi i have an office jet Pro 8600 N911g. I logged on to the printer using the printer ipaddress on a browser. I cannot see anything in the printer settings that shows the paper size. There are no paper settings visible for printing.
The only settings visible for paper size are on the scan and copy settings that are defaulted to A4.
HP Recommended
Thanks Owen. This worked for me on ios 11 using an iPad air 2, Iphone X and iPhone 7. I changed the settings to Ipv 4 only. The IPV 6 somehow is not working.
Thanks again
HP Recommended
Does this solve the small Print issue for 8600??
HP Recommended

Re. Post #50 

Thanks so much for this, works (new iPad with iOS11)!

HP Recommended
Yes the small print issue is sorted on 8600 when you change it to IPV 4 only. Currently your printer would show both IPv4 and IPv6 only. So when printing it only selects IPv6 and there is an issue with ios 11.
It should work with other printers too
HP Recommended
I thought that this worked at first as I followed Owen's advice and changed the setting to IPv4 only.
Printing then worked from an iPad.
Unfortunately both our household iPhones then could not find the HP8600. As soon as I reset the printer to use both IPv4 AND IPv6, lo and behold I was able to print again although the one upgraded to IOS 11 goes back to small print and so does the iPad!
We still need a permanent all-round fix or a new printer.
HP Recommended

@Ewe121 That is odd.  Your router should be able to handle traffic between IPv6 and IPv4.  Since this seems to get around the issue, you could try turning off IPv6 at your router.  Then none of your devices would be connecting to the network with IPv6.

Or try turning your iOS devices off and back on.  AirPrint may be caching the previous connection to the printer via IPv6 and may need to rediscover the device over IPv4.

Also, truning the printer off and back on may help.

HP Recommended
The problem now gets very confusingly my 8100.
I have ensured my Router is only using IPV4. I have also disconnected my printer from my net and then reconnected it. Now when I ask my iPhone to print one of two things happen:
1) If having set up a print request I press the ‘print’ within 10 seconds of seeing the preview screen my phone displays a message saying that my printer is being contacted and then the page prints ‘full size’.
2) If after setting up my print request and wait about 10 seconds the image of the page in my preview window changes size! After this has happened when I press ‘print’ I don’t get any message about the printer being contacted and the page prints out in 3x5 size on A4 paper!

This occurs when I use both Safari and Mail to print.

I hope this helps you better understand the possible cause!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.