Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 6988 CB055A
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I had to completely unplug printer & computerdue to new carpet being laid.  When I went to print I received the following message-"printing error". I received this message when I went to print a test page -"out of memory".  I never saw that and do not know what it means or how to correct it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sillie

Thanks for replying with the results. I did some research and came across this Microsoft document. Ideally, this seems to be a Microsoft operating system issue. I suggest you to please go through this document: http://hp.care/2hX4XYD.

Let me know the outcome. I'm always here to support. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Sillie

I would like to take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I came across you post and would like to help. I understand that you have an HP Deskjet 6988 Printer and it gives "printing error" and while printing a test page it said "out of memory." 

I recommend you to perform the below steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a solution: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Once you perform the above steps, please check the performance. If the issue persists then please continue with the below steps:

Hope this helps. Let me know the outcome. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Still receive "out of memory" message.  Please tell me what that means.

HP Recommended

@Sillie

Thanks for replying with the results. I did some research and came across this Microsoft document. Ideally, this seems to be a Microsoft operating system issue. I suggest you to please go through this document: http://hp.care/2hX4XYD.

Let me know the outcome. I'm always here to support. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

The printer began printing.  Don't know why, just glad it did.  Merry Christmas!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.