Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7858
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I cannot find any specifications for the type/weight of paper one can use with HP Envy 7800 series printers. Of course I know one can use regular multip-purpose paper as well as HP photo paper, but I'm also thinking of textured art-type papers and card stock. I don't want to jam the printer by using something unsuitable, such as too thin or too thick. What weights of paper can be used? 

I looked on the HP website but cannot find anything about printer paper, and am surprised because I know HP has its own brand of papers.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@ros2004

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

Check for the Product Specifications for the HP ENVY Photo 7858 All-in-One Printer using the below link.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-photo-7800-all-in-one-printer-series/9073159/model/1649... and check the paper handling.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you, Raj.

Yes, that answers my question except for one thing. Under "paper weight supported" it says 18-22 lbs. That is the weight of regular multi-purpose printer paper and everything else is heavier. I have some Kirkland brand photo paper which I know works, and it is 69 1bs. So that specification doesn't seem to be accurate/complete. I'll take a look at the specs for other models.

HP Recommended

@ros2004,

I am responding on behalf of @Raj1788 as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I would like to inform you that the recommended/supported paperweight is 16.75 lbs for your printer. However, the printer will print if you use a heavier paper but you may face paper jam or paper feed issues sometimes.

Hope that answers your question.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

Thank you but that can't be right. Standard multi-purpose printer paper is usually 20 1bs and it's very thin.

The Envy 7855 shows recommended paper weight 16 to 22 lb and supported paper weight 16 to 80 lb. I guess that would apply to the 7858.

@The_Fossette wrote:

I am responding on behalf of @Raj1788 as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I would like to inform you that the recommended/supported paperweight is 16.75 lbs for your printer. However, the printer will print if you use a heavier paper but you may face paper jam or paper feed issues sometimes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@ros2004,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Please refer to the below image for the paper handling specifications for your printer.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

Raj had already given me the link to these specifications, but as I had noted in the reply, they don't make sense because only regular multi-purpose copy paper falls into this range. Photo paper, which I know does work, is 69 lbs. Therefore I looked at specifications for similar printers. The 7855, which can't be too different from the 7858, shows that it can handle 16 to 80 lbs. 

HP Recommended

@ros2004,

As per the specifications of your printer that is the supported paper weight for the printer. As I have mentioned in my previous post it may print and support a heavier paper, however, HP doesn't recommend using it.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette wrote:

@ros2004,

As per the specifications of your printer that is the supported paper weight for the printer. As I have mentioned in my previous post it may print and support a heavier paper, however, HP doesn't recommend using it.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette

Thank you for your patience but my point is that the specifications for the 7858 are woefully incomplete. A printer that is advertised as being a great photo printer MUST be able to support photo-weight paper. The specifications for other Envy printers say that that they support 16-80 lbs and for some models they go into further detail about the supported weights for various media sizes/types.  

HP Recommended

@ros2004,

Thanks for the reply,

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.