Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have two hp printers model 1536.   Both of them have a vertical line when using the document feeder to scan or copy.

When placing the item on the glass, the scan or copy is clear.

Have read the threads...tried plugging direclty into wall, cleaned document feeder and glass, etc.

Still have this problem

Any ideas? 

Driver or firmware issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue is likely not a driver or firmware issue - it is most likely a spot on the thin scanner glass used for scanning through the ADF.  Try cleaning the 1" wide glass strip to the left of the main scanner glass. A tiny spec can cause the problem you are seeing.  It may help to hold a flashlight nearly parallel to to scanner glass to highlight any spots on the glass.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The issue is likely not a driver or firmware issue - it is most likely a spot on the thin scanner glass used for scanning through the ADF.  Try cleaning the 1" wide glass strip to the left of the main scanner glass. A tiny spec can cause the problem you are seeing.  It may help to hold a flashlight nearly parallel to to scanner glass to highlight any spots on the glass.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob:   I would not have believed it... as I had wiped the glass.   But I went ahead and scrubbed it well on both machines...and it worked.

The flashlight did show the spot which I could not see on first inspection.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the post

Don

HP Recommended

I am glad I could help.  It is surprising how small a spec can be seen by the scanner, I had a similar issue with my Officejet 8600.  I *knew* there had to be a spec and about where it was based on the position of the line on the page - even then it was hard to find.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thank you for your post.  I had the exact same issue with my scanning and after I cleaned the glass the problem was gone.  :Wink:

HP Recommended

Thank You Bob,

Solved the problem. Similar to the previous responder I too cleaned virtually everything and did the power-off reset. Also similarly, a flashlight search did not reveal any impurities on the 1" strip. But a thorough extra cleaning of that 1" strip of glass solved the problem. Would have been nice if the HP Trobleshooting Engineers had clarified this problem area on their website.  Thanks again  Marty in Georgia

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.