Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8500a
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an alignment failed problem on my HP Officejet Pro 8500a.

At first, I throughout I ran out of ink so I got new ink and it still didn't work

I tried cleaning the alignment sensor by taking it out and I am not sure I placed it back the right way.

The alignment still fails but I get slightly better results now.

I am adding a scane of my best alignment results and printheads cleaning results

Do you know where I can buy a new alignment sensor or maybe have any ideas on how to fix my problem?

alignment test resultsalignment test resultsheadprinter cleaning resultsheadprinter cleaning results

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The problem is not with the alignment itself, but with the print quality which causes the alignment process to fail.

By your pictures, I can identify an issue with both Black and Magenta, assuming the ink levels are full it likely requires to replace both printheads:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03956792

Keep in mind that it could be faulty printheads and could be the printer hardware too, please consider it prior to spending any money on replacement parts, check if it worth the money invested or may better to replace a printer with a provided warranty and starter inks.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I changed both printheads and I can finally see a big improvement!

The black, blue and purple color works great but the yellow isn't

I added a scene of my printheads cleaning and alingment results.1.jpg2.jpg

HP Recommended

Indeed there seems to be a big improvement.

One option would be a defective Black/Yellow printhead, another option would be a faulty Yello cartridge.

What is the printhead warranty end date? you may contact the retailer and try to replace it as part of its warranty, also trying another Yellow cartridge worth a try.

Other than that, the printer will likely require servicing:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8500a-e-all-in-one-printer-series-a910/4083864...

Shlomi

HP Recommended

ok thank you

just wanted to say that now that I look at the previous picture I uploaded when I opened the dispute

I can see the yellow color did work

do you think that means the problem is most likely the yellow printhead senes it is the only thing that changed?

HP Recommended

Indeed this is likely, as the previous printhead have printed yellow but not black, while current one shows the opposite results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.