Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

We recently purchased and installed an HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 Color MFP M575 to be used as a networked all-in-one solution for a number of offices. I have been able to get it set up on our network and have installed the appropriate drivers on the requested Windows 7 x64 machines, and network printing works perfectly. However, it seems that despite the fancy scanning features available from the all-in-one itself (scan to email, scan to a network folder, etc.), I can't find any way to do an old-fashioned scan from Windows.

I have installed the full software solution available on the driver download page for the device, and while Windows lists the device as a "Multi Function Printer; Scanner" it does not recognize it as an actual scanner. The built-in Windows Fax and Scan simply reports that no scanners are installed. The software installation did not include the HP Solution Center (which I am used to seeing from my experience with various other HP all-in-one devices) or any equivalent for direct scanning. The driver download page for the device does not include any separate scanning drivers, so I can't be certain if they were included with the full installation or exist at all.Some of our staff also use Adobe Acrobat to scan, and even that fails to recognize the MFP as a scanner.

We'll eventually be setting up the device to scan directly to a network folder, but we need a fallback while IT takes their time getting it set up; I can't imagine that the simplest option is not available at all. I must be missing something here, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: To add, I also ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor. Interestingly, it reports the device as a printer and only offers to "Fix Printing" without any sort of resolution for my scanning problem.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I am sure you have probably found out by now that this device is made "not" to scan directly to a computer.  USB will only detect the printer.  I just got finished with a very helpful tech in Chat that explained it is supposed to be that way.  Go figure.

GT

HP Recommended
That is absolutely baffling and makes me regret the purchase in the first place. I can't fathom how the most basic functionality you would expect from any scanner has been stripped from something boasting a variety of advanced scanning features. Even more baffling is that there is nothing in the product description suggesting "If you are looking for the scanner to actually scan to your PC like every other scanner made in the history of scanners, look elsewhere," nor is there a single mention of this problem anywhere on the Internet at all.
HP Recommended

There is no change to this problem after 6 months since the last post. Put simply, and as stated in the previous posts, there is no way to scan a document and receive the image on your PC. If you are working with graphics for any length of time or want to create an image for inclusion as an image in a document or web page using this piece of equipment will not allow you to do so.

Great shame as every other function works well - it cannot be beyond the wit of HP to include a Windows application that enables you to scan an image, receive it in the software you are using at the time (e.g. Outlook, Word, Photoshop...) and use it in your work.

HP Printers several years older than this £1000+ Enterprise printer were able to do this simple job and have done so for a great many years. Just being able to use Microsoft's Fax and Scan would be start.

HP Recommended

You can set it to scan to a PC. Use the network location but put in pc name and folder IE \\pcname\scanfolder. Works fine we have been using it like this a while. Need to give it a username and password to use but easy to set up.

HP Recommended

Not certain what tech you spoke to but I frequently scan docs to my email using this type of machine. You just have to set it up correctly as per the guidance that was suggested in a previous post.

HP Recommended

yea, this assumes you have a network setup and using this on the network; for those using w/just USB.. there is no way to do this.

HP Recommended

thats a totally different feature; explaining your setup would be helpful. did you use the save to email on the scanner itself? or does it output a scan job to your desktop that you then can attach to email? details.... 

so far i have not found any way to scan to pc via a usb cable and no network.  there isn't even an option in the EWS config for this.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.