Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For the past 3 days, here's what's happened.

I want to make a paper copy of the piece of paper on the glass.

That is, I want to use ENVY 5530 as COPIER, but I can't.

I press the Copy button.

Printer says "Now copying..."

"Busy" indicator spins and spins and spins ...

No copy.

I press red "X" to cancel.

Nothing changes. Message is still "Now copying..." 

Printer is hung. Only way to use it normally (as Printer, which works normally) is to power it down manually. 

I try this and that suggestion, including this one, which "Suggests resetting printer [which doesn't happen]", to no avail. 

HP Smart no help.

I press "Restore to factory defaults to no avail.

I have latest drivers.

I look for new firmware. I find one. Under "Firmware update" I find "Software-ePrint". I click it and find description has nothing to do with copying.

"Fix and enhancements" says  "Corrected a failure to update user credentials when printing to ePrint Enterprise using a static ePrint print queue."

and
"Fixed a defect where a job goes to an error state when printing wireless direct."

I can still print normally. Paper is in the tray. There is no jam. I PRINT every day. Using COPY is rare.

So I'm not going to change firmware. I can't take a chance on Printing being fouled up by new firmware.

Do I believe this will happen? If it's YOUR printer, "Heck no." But it's mine.

Ever hear of this problem? I doubt it. If you have, do you have a fix? I sincerely doubt it. But I hope so.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The day in question, as I was composing this message and was about to send it, I was able to make two copies of a document. 

I was looking for the exact "error/status" message on the printer display to use in this message, but when I pressed Copy to get the error message, A PAGE CAME OUT.

So I guess it fixed itself. No firmware update, no hard reset. Just resumed working normally.'

But for how long?

Anyway, I saved Rachel's message for future reference, if needed. So I'll mark it as the Answer, even though the Answer is anybody's guess.

Chalk it up to the age of the printer?

I'm gonna call it bad (or is it good?) timing, because if I had sent after my last second-to-last failed copy attempt, I'd still be having the problem.

Dave S.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @dslomer64,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're dealing with a frustrating issue with your HP ENVY 5530 printer. Based on the symptoms you described, it seems that the copying functionality is stuck, which may indicate a software or hardware malfunction specifically related to the copier mode. Here are a few steps you can try to potentially resolve the issue:

Hard Reset:

• Since you've already tried resetting to factory settings, perform a hard reset by disconnecting the printer from the power source while it is turned on. Wait at least 60 seconds before reconnecting and powering it up again. This can help clear any errors that are stuck.

Check the Scanner Mechanism:

• Sometimes, issues with copying can arise if the scanner light or the scanner mechanism itself is stuck or malfunctioning. Try to open the scanner lid and check if the scanner light moves when you attempt a copy. If it seems stuck or doesn’t move, there might be a mechanical issue.

Inspect for Obstructions:

• Ensure there are no obstructions in the path of the scanner light or any visible damage inside the scanner area.

Update Firmware (Cautiously):

• While you've rightly noted concerns about updating the firmware, sometimes firmware updates are precisely what's needed to fix an issue. Given that you can still print normally, and if you feel comfortable, reconsider the firmware update as it might contain bug fixes not explicitly mentioned in the description relevant to your issue.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• If you haven’t used it yet, HP offers a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows that can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. You can download it from HP’s website and use it to troubleshoot the printer’s functions.

Consider a Service or Replacement:

• If the printer is still under warranty, or if it’s a critical feature for you, it might be worth considering sending it for service or looking into a replacement if no solution is found.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The day in question, as I was composing this message and was about to send it, I was able to make two copies of a document. 

I was looking for the exact "error/status" message on the printer display to use in this message, but when I pressed Copy to get the error message, A PAGE CAME OUT.

So I guess it fixed itself. No firmware update, no hard reset. Just resumed working normally.'

But for how long?

Anyway, I saved Rachel's message for future reference, if needed. So I'll mark it as the Answer, even though the Answer is anybody's guess.

Chalk it up to the age of the printer?

I'm gonna call it bad (or is it good?) timing, because if I had sent after my last second-to-last failed copy attempt, I'd still be having the problem.

Dave S.

HP Recommended

Hi @dslomer64,

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad the issue is resolved.

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.