Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I am wanting to take a two sided original and make a two sided copy.  When i press the ECO button it says that that option is turned off.  I can't figure out how to turn it on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello chogan

The ADF on the Officejet Pro 8600 N911a does not have the ability to make a two-sided copy. This is because the ADF does not have a duplex unit to pull the original document back in and flip it so that the other side can be copied.

You can make two-sided copies from the flatbed by setting the option and flipping the page after the first side is copied.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

Hi chogan,

The feature to directly and automatically make a two sided copy is a feature of the higher model printers in this series, the N911g or higher.

Try pressing copy and then settings.  You will be looking for a setting to do a manual two sided copy.

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Why is it that i can't automatically print 2-sided and the product is advertised with 2-sided printing? i checked the box  and manual and cant see where there are any exceptions. please explain.

HP Recommended

Hello thinmanshawn

Are you trying to duplex print or duplex copy? If duplex printing make sure that the duplex option is checked in Printer Preferences.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

i just bought mine too and i am wondering why isn't printing double sided automatically.  I am using Windows XP.  please advice.  thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello Miles

Are you trying to print using duplexing or make copies with duplexing?

There should be an option to enable duplexing under Printer Preferences -> Layout -> Print on Both Sides:

Duplex Option Officejet 8600

HP Recommended

I am printing, i tried the short edge it did not work, what's the difference?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello Miles

Short Edge is typically used when printing landscape since the page is "flipped" over the short edge of the paper. When printing with the "Flip on Long Edge" the page is "flipped" over the long edge. Basically it is how the page is flipped to read the other side upright.

When you say it did not work what exactly happens? Did you hit apply after changing the option?

HP Recommended

after setting it, i save it.  It did print but not 2 sided.  thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello Miles

What application are you printing from? Some applications (such as Microsoft Word 2010) has its own settings that can override settings in printer preferences. Have you tried printing a duplex job from something like Notepad? This way we can isolate the issue to a particular application.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.