Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9015e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Setting up a brand new OfficeJet Pro 9010e.  In EWS Web Services appears connected/connected properly.  Clicking on SCAN on the black bar at top returns error message "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact the person who set up the printer."  It has not been disabled.  I've updated printer firmware, removed and added Web Services multiple times.  Wiped printer back to Factory Defaults and reconfigured repeatedly.  Removed and reinstalled HP Smart software repeatedly.  Error persists.

Also, I often prefer to initiate scanning from the printer.  On the Control Panel, clicking on Scan, Computer brings up a list of my computer name, Scan to my computername and Computer Not Listed.  Choosing the first works OK.  Choosing the second fails with message "Software Required - Visit 123.hp.com to get the HP Smart app or other HP scanning software for your computer."  HP Smart is already installed.  Also, occasionally Windows Fax & Scan software opens up.  I'm presuming this shouldn't be happening.

I'm a retired IT Tech (Desktop Support).  I've supported HP multifunction printers for years.  My last personal device was an OfficeJet Pro 8600 which I absolutely loved.  I've never had so much trouble setting one up.   If anyone has insight into this error and how to resolve it  I'd be grateful.  I'd also like to resolve the issue with the "scan to my computer" function.  Maybe just remove it somehow?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SirBuddington 

Hello,

The HP Smart application, does not support Scan to PC. For this function, please install the full drivers and software for your printer on your computer.

Please download and install the HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series Full Software and Drivers.

To activate Scan to Computer function from the printer's control panel:

1. Open the HP Printer Assistant application: Double-click on the shortcut for your printer on the Windows desktop (HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series). The HP Printer Assistant window will open.
  2. Click on Print, Scan, Fax and then click on Scan.
  3. Click on Manage Scan to Computer.
  4. Click on Enable. If you have the Disable button, it means that Scan to Computer is already enabled.

To activate the Webscan from EWS function, please follow the procedure below:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon () to retrieve the printer IP address.
    2. Launch a web page, and then type this address in the address bar and press Enter key. The Embedded Web Server (EWS) opens.
    3. Click the Settings tab, then under Security, click Administrator Settings.
    4. Under Enable/Disable Features, then check the Enable All box, and then click Apply.
    5. Click on OK.

Don't hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SirBuddington 

Hello,

The HP Smart application, does not support Scan to PC. For this function, please install the full drivers and software for your printer on your computer.

Please download and install the HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series Full Software and Drivers.

To activate Scan to Computer function from the printer's control panel:

1. Open the HP Printer Assistant application: Double-click on the shortcut for your printer on the Windows desktop (HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series). The HP Printer Assistant window will open.
  2. Click on Print, Scan, Fax and then click on Scan.
  3. Click on Manage Scan to Computer.
  4. Click on Enable. If you have the Disable button, it means that Scan to Computer is already enabled.

To activate the Webscan from EWS function, please follow the procedure below:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon () to retrieve the printer IP address.
    2. Launch a web page, and then type this address in the address bar and press Enter key. The Embedded Web Server (EWS) opens.
    3. Click the Settings tab, then under Security, click Administrator Settings.
    4. Under Enable/Disable Features, then check the Enable All box, and then click Apply.
    5. Click on OK.

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Mans, thanks so much for responding.  I had tried downloading additional HP software that I stumbled upon but no "HP Printer Assistant" was in that group.  Attempting to use the link you provided I discover that ftp functionality has been removed from most browsers including MS Edge and Firefox.  FileZilla also seems to fail with error: "connection closed by server".  Any suggestions for alternate download process?

HP Recommended

@SirBuddington 

Hello and thanks for your return,

I'm sorry, but since the middle of 2021, web browsers no longer support for sites starting with ftp://.
In this case, I propose you the same pilot with at the beginning https://.

As first, please download and install the HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series Full Software and Drivers.

Please restart the printer, computer, and router for solve this problem.

1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 30 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router.
     NOTE: 
    Wait until internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Wait at least 3 minutes, then turn on the computer.
  8. Try to scan and print.

HP Recommended

Mans, thanks again for persisting.  Your work-around for the ftp issue resolved the download problem and now Scan to Computer does work.  Oddly enough, in the process when the Select Computer menu comes up on the Printer Control Panel it lists my Computer Name and a second, "Scan to" my Computer name.  The first plain name works, the second with "Scan to" in front fails after triggering Windows Scan & Fax app.  Very strange and no obvious way to remove the broken name.  Also, your suggested fix for the Webscan from EWS error worked.

Thanks for all the help!

HP Recommended

@SirBuddington 

Thanks for your retur,

Okay!

Otherwise, for the second name "Scan to" this may be a bug in the printer firmware.
If you can, report it to HP Support Agents.

Then try to update the printer firmware as follows:

3. Click the Tools tab, then under Printer Updates, click Firmware Updates.
  4. Click on the Check Now button.
  5. Wait for the printer to restart automatically after the firmware update.
  6. Be patient until the printer is ready and silent.
  7. Try to scan and print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.