cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WyreNut
Level 15
16,300 14,607 1,044 2,038
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Solved!

Fix for the Slate 7 28xx/46xx SD card issue after OTA.

HP Recommended

NOTE:  HP has released a totally new OTA - version user_1.05.18.  Easiest way to fix the issue is to go to Settings/About tablet/System Updates/Check Now button.  If this doesn't fix the issue, then continue to the older instructions below.

HP has uploaded an updated recovery file (update.zip) to their Support site for the Slate 7 28xx/46xx that addresses the SD card issue caused by a recent OTA.   It can be reloaded into ROM via the recovery method. Use the newest file listed.

The page is here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-slate-7-tablet/5373939/model/5373942

If you don't see the Jelly Bean restore image, then be sure you have chosen Google Android as your OS.  (Sometimes it defaults to Windows if you are using a PC to grab the file).  Click "Microsoft Windows" to change the OS, then click the "Version" link to change it to Google Jellybean.  Click the "Update" blue button. Now click the Plus sign (+) next to Software - Solutions to list the file and the Download button.

Pick the newest Jelly Bean restore image.

Follow the directions from this page to install the update:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Slate-7-Tablet/5373939/model/5373942/document/c03678325/

Thanks to all the users here who helped discover the solution!

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WyreNut
Author
Level 15
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@inkjet3 wrote:

This fix requires the tablet to read an external micro SD card! The issue we are trying to resolve is the inability of the tablet to read the card after the recent update! I have successfully downloaded the zip file but dont know where to go from here since I cannot see how the tablet will be able to execute the recovery process if it cannot read the SD card. Any advice please.

I have provided a link to the installation instructions in the first post of this thread.  I would advise you to try them.

The recovery process knows how to find the card...

WyreNut

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
14 REPLIES 14
redeyesly
4 4 0 0
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"You need a memory card adapter and card reader to create the recovery media on your computer."

Why can't they fix the problem in the same way that they broke it? I live 30 miles from the nearest store that sells a memory card adapter. I should just be able to click automatic update and be done.

WyreNut
Author
Level 15
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you wish to wait for another OTA, that is your perogative.  We're offering a way to fix the issue immediately.  The instructions are for a PC that does not have a card reader built into it.

Perhaps a friend has a card reader?  

WyreNut

inkjet3
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This fix requires the tablet to read an external micro SD card! The issue we are trying to resolve is the inability of the tablet to read the card after the recent update! I have successfully downloaded the zip file but dont know where to go from here since I cannot see how the tablet will be able to execute the recovery process if it cannot read the SD card. Any advice please.

WyreNut
Author
Level 15
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@inkjet3 wrote:

I have provided a link to the installation instructions in the first post of this thread.  I would advise you to try them.

The recovery process knows how to find the card...

WyreNut

View solution in original post

inkjet3
Level 1
13 12 0 1
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK - thanks for clarification. I will try it.

Jrr19
2 1 0 2
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Many thanks.
The process worked a treat.
Slate now back to normal.
John
Doodlebugs
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please help.  I'm not computer savy and my son's tablet has this problem after the update so I have been following the info. you have been providing...thank you 🙂

I found the fix, downloaded it to my computer, saved it to the mico sd card, removed the card from my computer, put it in the tablet and followed the directions.

After choosing "update/recover from SD card"  it didn't read the SD card.  I didn't have an option to choose.  I rebooted but the problem is still there.

I checked the SD card in the computer and the file is on there.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,055 180 330
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, Doodlebugs:

Welcome, to Forum !.

1) Charge to 100% ths battery of your tablet.

2) Check, with this instructions ...

Before you begin a system recovery on your HP tablet
Before starting the Android tablet recovery process, you need the following:
  • MicroSD memory card: You need a microSD card with 1GB or more capacity. All data is erased from the card when you create the recovery media. Back up any files currently stored on the memory card before you begin.
  • MicroSD-to-SD memory card adapter and SD card reader: You need a memory card adapter and card reader to create the recovery media on your computer.
  • Access to another computer: You need a computer with Internet access to download the recovery image and create the recovery media.
Creating the recovery media for your HP tablet
The recovery media is a recovery file (called a "recovery image") stored on a microSD memory card. After the recovery media is created, it can be used to recover the Android operating system on the tablet. Use the steps in this section to create recovery media for your tablet.
  1. Insert the microSD card in the SD card adapter, and then insert the adapter into the SD card reader in your computer.
  2. Format the microSD card using the FAT32 file system.
Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
Doodlebugs
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you MakÉ for your response :OpenSmile:

I figured out what I did wrong and I have fixed it!!! So happy.  Thank you to all for your info.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation