Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum site and hopefully I do all this correct. But my question is how do you switch between radians and degrees (as far as modes) on the HP Prime calculator? I thought it was touch the top right corner and then touch either of the symbols? I could have swore that was the way i did it before; but today when I went to switch to degrees the screen was unresponsive when that drop down menu would appear. So then from the CAS screen I went into settings and tried to change the mode there, and I could select between the two but when I would go back to the CAS screen and then back to the settings screen to see if it did indeed stay, the drop down bar would say radians again... I've tried the reset button on the back and no luck. Is there some setting that I might have turned on so it won't change between modes? I also haven't messed with the firmware at all; all I've done is take it out of the box and charge it up and use it. I've had it now since about last November and as far as I can remember this function used to work.

Ok update if anyone reads this ... I have found that within the app "function" I can not switch between radians/degrees. I am just currious as to why im not able to do so if anyone would like to comment?

Thanks, Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's one possible reason for what you were experiencing.  Each app can have its own private radian/degree setting in the "Symbolic Setup" screen.  (Shift Symb)  When an app has the angle mode set here, it usually cannot be changed elsewhere.  To restore your ability to set the angle mode in the usual three places (Home Settings, CAS Settings, and the battery icon popup box), press Shift Symb and change the angle setting there to "System".

-Joe-

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello TITUS85.

I was able to find the user manual for the HP Prime graphing calculator at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=5367461&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=oc_r1002...

On page 87, I found a possible solution to your question. I've quoted it below.

-- Chauntain

Common operations in Symbolic Setup view

[Scope: all apps]

The Symbolic Setup view is the

same for all apps. Its primary

purpose is to allow you to

override three of the system-wide

settings specified on the Home

Settings window.

Press SY to open Symbolic

Setup view.

Override system-wide settings

1. Tap once on the setting you want to change.

You can tap on the field name or the field.

2. Tap again on the setting.

A menu of options appears.

3. Select the new setting.

Note that selecting the Fixed, Scientific, or

Engineering option on the Number Format menu

displays a second field for you to enter the required number

of significant digits.

You could also select a field, tap , and select the new

setting.

I work on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Click the KUDOS THUMBS UP on the left to say “Thanks” for helping! .
HP Recommended

Hi,

You are correct that tapping the angle symbol on the screen should allow a change of angle mode. It should also work in CAS settings or HOME settings.

If this does not work, I suggest you reset the calculator by briefly inserting a bent-open paper clip in the Reset hole on the back of the calculator.

Additional info:

The primary place to change RAD/DEG mode is the Settings of the "HOME" key (also done by tapping angle symbol on screen). The other modes (CAS, graphing etc.) are kept in sync with HOME settings.

Comment from CAS developer:

"The 2 angles are kepts in sync on purpose.

Users will often do things that crosses the CAS/numerical boundary without realizing it. It is important to keep the 2 modes synchrones in order to avoid what they would concider beeing calculation bugs."

HTH

-Bart
Thanks for the replies. I figured out that I was correct in changing the mode with the menu that pops up when you touch the top right of the screen. And I found that when your in the app (function) or (trig explorer) I can't change it between the two. I'm not sure why exactly but I'll go with it.

Also just wondering if HP has put out a newer version of the firmware, or is the only one available the one that came loaded on the calculator?

Again, thank you for the help.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think the latest version is 5447.

Edit 29May2014: new version available: 2014 3 31 (6030)

The way to update the Prime is using a Windows PC connected to the internet, using the Prime Connectivity Kit supplied on the CD with the calculator.

• Connect your HP Prime calculator via the supplied USB cable (directly connected, do not use a USB hub)
  • Start the HP Connectivity Kit 
  • Click the Calculator tab 
  • Right-click the name of the HP Prime you wish to update (it would be the one you connected before starting this procedure) 
  • Make a note of the version number and then click the OK button 
  • Click on the Help Menu and select Check for update 
  • Check for update pop-up box, check version number that it is newer than the one you wish to update. 
  • Then click download button 
  • That's it, you'll see on the screen of your calculator the update being loaded and installed. Don't click too fast to get out of the HP Connectivity Kit, wait a minute or so after completion. 
  • Also, there is a step in the Connectivity Kit where it is advised to back-up the version you had before you run the procedure, just in case. That way you have a way to re-cover.

HTH

-Bart

Thanks I'll try that once I can get ahold of a PC.

Thanks for all the help and helpful information.
HP Recommended

Here's one possible reason for what you were experiencing.  Each app can have its own private radian/degree setting in the "Symbolic Setup" screen.  (Shift Symb)  When an app has the angle mode set here, it usually cannot be changed elsewhere.  To restore your ability to set the angle mode in the usual three places (Home Settings, CAS Settings, and the battery icon popup box), press Shift Symb and change the angle setting there to "System".

-Joe-
HP Recommended
That was it! Wow I must have changed it there for some reason rather than the pop up menu.
Thanks for the help. There's so much to this calculator that it's hard to keep all it's features straight sometimes.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.