Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,
I am an Electrical Engineer and have to solve systems of linear equations on a regular basis, so that functionality is very important for me. Everything works fine 95% of the time, but sometimes I run into systems that the HP50g does not seem to like. For instance the one below.

I want to solve for x,y,z, and a in terms of V

V-100000x+100000y-100000x=0
-250000y-V+100000x+100000z=0
-250000z+100000a+100000y=0
-250000a+100000z=0

After these 4 equations are on the stack, I make them into a vector by pushing {4} onto the stack and then pressing ->ARRY. Then I push the variables I want to solve for onto the stack, x,y,z, and a and make a vector out of them. Then I use LINSOLV to solve the system. However, when I do it this way, the calculator gives me an equation for x, an equation for y, and 2 equations for z, and no equation for s. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Is there some other way to do this that would yield me 4 equations, one for each variable I want to solve for in terms of V?

If my method for solving linear equations is confusing in any way, I basically followed this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z802L29JyQE

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Not sure exactly how you're entering it, so I'm being explicit just to b certain:

Notes:

1) as an equation is being entered, use ' '

2) it is better to use a comma to separate real and imaginary parts

3) use explicit multiply

so the entry will look like:

'(4,3*X)=(4,7)'

For this simple equation and assuming X is defined as the independent variable (shown as 'X' in the middle top of the screen), you can use SOLVEVX for this one: (no. 5 in S.SLV menu or F5 if using soft-keys)

with "_Approx" unchecked the answer is:

X=7/3

with "vApprox" checked the answer is:

X=(2.333333333,0)       (although X is part of the imaginary number, it itself is a real number).

Regards.

-Bart

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try using SOLVE instead (in the S.SLV menu (White LeftShift 7), choose "6. Solve" or F6 if using soft menus).

Also see Chapter 7 of the 887-page  HP-50G User's Guide.

Original arrays:

MultEqns_01.jpg

Solutions using SOLVE:

MultEqns_02.jpg

Hope this helps.

-Bart

Hi!, rbridges:

Welcome, to Forum!.

Please, try with this examples ... http://50gtutorials.blogspot.com.ar/2009/10/solving-systems-of-equations-on-hp-50g.html

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

Hey thanks so much for the reply Bart!
When I use your method, the calculator gives me an error saying "not exact system." 
What am I doing wrong?

HP Recommended

Hi,

In settings MODE -> CAS make sure "_Numeric" and "_Approx" are both UNchecked (otherwise the solver searches for numeric only solution, but you require a symbolic solution containing V).

Side note: you probably noticed I had my setting in "Vertical vector display" mode. Hope it didn't confuse you (it is set with MODE -> Flags and check 98).

Hope this helps.

-Bart

Hey Bart.
Thanks so much. That worked for me!

Now while I have your attention I figured I would try to ask one more question if I may.

I am now trying to solve equations with complex variables in them. This following example is much more simple than the types of equations I am trying to solve, but it highlights the problem I am having:

4 + j3x = 4 + j7

To solve this simple equation for x by hand, one would simply set 3x = 7 and solve for x. This would give x = 2.3333

When I attempt to enter the left hand side of this equation on the HP50g, I do the following

1. open parenthesis
2. 4 SPACE 3x
3. enter

And then the calculator gives me a syntax error at the "x
The calculator doesn't seem to like when I try to enter variables inside of the complex number.

How could I go about solving something like this?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Not sure exactly how you're entering it, so I'm being explicit just to b certain:

Notes:

1) as an equation is being entered, use ' '

2) it is better to use a comma to separate real and imaginary parts

3) use explicit multiply

so the entry will look like:

'(4,3*X)=(4,7)'

For this simple equation and assuming X is defined as the independent variable (shown as 'X' in the middle top of the screen), you can use SOLVEVX for this one: (no. 5 in S.SLV menu or F5 if using soft-keys)

with "_Approx" unchecked the answer is:

X=7/3

with "vApprox" checked the answer is:

X=(2.333333333,0)       (although X is part of the imaginary number, it itself is a real number).

Regards.

-Bart

Thanks so much!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.