Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have upgraded my elitepad 900 to windows 10 pro 32 bits.

the upgrade as such happened smooth, all data/program were kept, pretty impressive.

nonetheless running windows 10 is making the tablet running very slowly even after completion of all updates/patches and multiple restart.

- the overall interface is slow with delays between action and results

- the menus are slow, the tablet seems using the disk too much

- watching a regular mkv/avi movie is very slow/ectic/cut - wether i use the new tv app or using VLC desktop or modern.

- the screen doesn't really switch off in hybernate, the retro-lightnigh/backlight remains switched on unless doing a shutdown

I did a roll back to windows 8.1 (super smooth, again very impressive) and the performance is back where it was. Movies are smooth, interface is fast... 

frustrating - have you noticed the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I wanted to share the following with you - I had the screen/backlight issue until I completed the following on Windows 10:

Go to the HP support site and access the Elitepad 900 downloads for Windows 8.1.  Download the ElitePad 900 BIOS/Firmware/Driver Update (SP71504).  Run this update - the item that will fix your issue is the Intel GMA driver included in this update.

The issue is the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" that gets installed by default.  This display adapter also appears to have caused issues in other devices as well - so it isn't necessarily an HP issue.  I assume there will be a standalone Windows 10 Intel GMA installer - but I wasn't able to find one to install - of course that doesn't mean it isn't out there.  The 8.1 installer package above ran without issue on my device and the display issue was no longer present. 

Just a note, Microsoft is having similar issues with the Surface devices.  They are having users update the display driver in order to resolve the problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I wanted to share the following with you - I had the screen/backlight issue until I completed the following on Windows 10:

Go to the HP support site and access the Elitepad 900 downloads for Windows 8.1.  Download the ElitePad 900 BIOS/Firmware/Driver Update (SP71504).  Run this update - the item that will fix your issue is the Intel GMA driver included in this update.

The issue is the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" that gets installed by default.  This display adapter also appears to have caused issues in other devices as well - so it isn't necessarily an HP issue.  I assume there will be a standalone Windows 10 Intel GMA installer - but I wasn't able to find one to install - of course that doesn't mean it isn't out there.  The 8.1 installer package above ran without issue on my device and the display issue was no longer present. 

Just a note, Microsoft is having similar issues with the Surface devices.  They are having users update the display driver in order to resolve the problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks brother . So nice of you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.