Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I want to be able to charge the unit as well as use a external usb flash drive.  Im thinking a powered usb hub with the flash drive attached then connect the stream 7 to the powered hub... will the stream 7 be powered AND be able to see/read the flash drive attached to the powered usb?

The reason im asking is, I saw a video review on the device and the reviewer stated the micro usb is for charging so you cant use it for charging AND reading a OTG device... I hope this statement was made in reference to the lack of usb ports and NOT becouse the unit was incapable of charging and reading a OTG device... 

also what is the MAX micro SD I can put in , I c that 32 is whats stated can it hold a 64? and on that thread what is the MAX it can read through the OTG cable? im hoping to use a 64 GB 3.0....

Thanks for answers in advance... 

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hey @wrichards ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you have questions about OTG and microSD support.

The answer to both of your questions are already in your post. I cannot guarantee you that an OTG USB hub will power and provide communication to the tablet at the same time. The fact the tablet has only one port means HP likely designed the tablet to do one thing at a time or it would have multiple USB ports. The port may not handle multiple threads of communication, so I can only say that you try this at your own risk. It may work, it may not. It really depends on the hub more than the tablet.

To the best of my knowledge a 32GB microSD is the maximum supported microSD card for this tablet.

Thanks. 

-Edited grammar.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I get the units in today, Ill report back my findings on the power USB and flash drive...

HP Recommended

How did you go with this? I ideally want to plug a USB network adaptor and also keep the tablet powered. Am interested in how you go.

Also - does the Stream 7 come with a USB On The Go adaptor? There is no information about it in the product manual or service docs that I've come across.

HP Recommended

I havent tryed the powered usb hub AND flash yet. I have tryed a Kingston datatraveler microDuo - a 2.0 and a 3.0 one and they work, Ive tested micro SD cards and they work UPTO 32gb the limit.

all in all im VERY VERY impressed with this unit. it really works great. One thing is I had to do to just make windows functional in such a small window was to increase the size of the sliders from -255 to -400 making them 2x as wide allowing easier time in file manager.

as soon as I try the powered hub with a flash drive Ill let you know 🙂  but Im not seeing a problem so far its all as expected... KUDOS HP!!!

HP Recommended

Did yours come with the right cable to use USB on the go?  Thanks

HP Recommended

I just received the stream 7 and a couple of different USB OTG adapters/cables.  Unfortunately I could not get any of them to charge AND see the external USB device at the same time.  There may be an adapter out there, but right now it looks like one or the other.

HP Recommended

I have a 64 Gb micro sd card in my stream 7 and it seems to be working just fine.

HP Recommended

@jdunsworth: which brand and model (number) of 64GB works with you?

By the way, yes, there does exist a docking station that can trick the port's communication and allows for usb-OTG as well as charging at the same time. It started this summer through Kickstarter, but is now available through Amazon, both US and Canada. However, the "Plugable Pro8", as it's called, costs USD89 or CAD99 respectively.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the heads up on the Plugable Pro8 Docking Station, I've ordered one through Amazon.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.