Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 10 G2 Tablet 2301

Hi, my mother recently gave my daughter an HP tablet that she purchased about 3 years ago from QVC. She then for some reason kept the tablet unopened in its box for the last three years. When we opened it, it charged fine, but whenever we try to open an app, it says that Google play services must be updated. However when we try to update, it simply won't happen. It says installing, but then stops. Is there anyway to update and use this tablet, or is it simply a throwaway now?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Janaki2 

Product introduced Oct 2015

The original installed Operating System:  Android Lollipop 5.0

HP 10 G2 2301 Tablet Product Specifications

If you could get the device to load a newer flavor of the OS, then the device might be worth more than a small paper weight.  Google, from what I have read, does not any longer support the old Lollipop format and has apparently long since moved on to other dessert foods (marshmallow, pie) and maybe now "numbered" Operating System version names.

I don't know - it is hard (for some of us) to toss out tech of any kind -- on the other hand, the device is old.  Even if you can get it to work (do "anything"), old tech does not usually fare well in today's world.  So...

Android Versions Guide: Everything You Need to Know

My suggestion:

Thank you mom for the kind thought.

Take the device at a local phone or computer repair house.  Ask it there is any saving it (load a newer OS) or whether they might be able to strip it for parts to reduce waste and protect the landfill.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP 10 Tablet G2 - 2301

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of the Rat

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.