Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4007tu
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

**SOLUTION**

I want to share a solution I was given by a HP technician over the phone to hopefully help others in this situation. Skip to red text for steps. The following just provides some context.

I have a HP Spectre x360 - 13-4007tu (Windows 8.1 64 bit) which I got in mid 2015. 

Yesterday, I was using my laptop as usual (not plugged in). The battery was running low so I went to put it on charge. No LED light appeared when I inserted the charger, nor did the computer recognise that the charger was plugged in. I quickly managed to save my important files to a USB before the battery completely died. I tried different charging cords and different power outlets and wiggling the cord and nothing helped.

I went to a computer repair shop who also could help me. Because my laptop is out of warranty, I said they could pull the back off to take a look inside. They couldnt find any issue with the charger or the battery and recommended I contact HP, suggesting that it would likely need a new motherboard. They suggested that because the laptop is 5 years old, that I'd be better off purchasing a new laptop as the repairs would likely be time-consuming and cost a lot (relative to buying a newer laptop). They were able to remove the M.2 SSD which contained all the data/files off my laptop and put it onto a hard drive for me so that I at least had my files if my laptop was factory reset.

Later that day, I spoke to a HP technician over the phone who told me that notebook batterys tend to accumulate static and that may be the issue. He told me to do the following:

1. Ensure laptop is turned off
  2. Disconnect charger and all external devices/usbs 
  3. Press and hold down the mute key (F11) and the power button for 30 seconds (This discharges static from battery)
  4. Reinsert the charger and turn on the laptop with the power button as per usual.

Initially, there was no response from the PC. I tried this multiple times and to my surprise it actually worked - I first noticed because the LED light next to the charging port went orange. After around 10 minutes I tried to turn n the la[ptop and it worked, albeit in recovery mode. I did have to use the HP recovery manager to essentially factory reset my laptop (minimized image recovery so I would have the operating system), but 24 hours on and it seems to be operating as per usual.

Hope this can help someone else out there who loves this laptop as much as I do!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.