Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP3634
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I installed a new pair of cartridges. Well, I say new, that is, they're new to me. They are "remanufactured" - basically used cartridges that have been refilled by a local company. They are supposed to be tested, good to go, and have a warranty on both the cartridge AND the printer. So, if they break or don't work, I get another cartridge for free. If they damage the printer, I get a new printer. What's not to like?

This is not the first time that i have installed these cheap non-HP cartridges, and they are much cheaper.

However, this time, the printer said "Cartridge failed" or words to the effect of "We know you are using rip-off kit and won't allow it". Oh dear. After searching online, I found this forum. And others with a similar problem, on a range of printers.

Just to let the world know, I powered OFF, waited a few minutes, Powered ON, and the printer works fine.

So, the cure seems to be "Switch it off, pause, Switch it on again." Sorted. The pause is necessary to allow the power supply capacitors to drain, and thus ensure that all existing data in the printer's memory is erased.

Of course, HP could save us all this trouble if the price of ink bore some reality to the cost of providing it. I just hate paying for their shareholder's next Caribbean cruise. But that's commerce, I suppose.

If this helps you, please say so, otherwise my news may be deleted or buried, and that would smack of censorship.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.