Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer

Seems I am unable to scan a document from my printer to an email.   In the "Scan to Email" section setup (Step 1), I am using my email address.  In Step 2, what SMTP Server is used ??  Do I use SMTP for **bleep** (google) ?    In the Server Authentication section, do I use my **bleep** email address and my **bleep** (google) password for authentication ??  I keep failing on every attempt I make.   Anyone's assistance is GREATLY appreciated.   Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is google's guide https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

Couple of notes:

yes you use a google SMTP server

you will need to setup a App password on your google account and that is the password you would enter on the printer. details here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

@MDS24 

Welcome to the HP Community --

I think you might be tripping over Google's email security.

What?

Google and other providers have abandoned (disabled) "Less Secure Apps" access and move to tighter security.

You need to enable 2-step verification (2FA), then create and use an App Password in place of your regular email password in the SMTP Profile setup.

Poof!  Golden.

Details follow...

Your Printer EWS

Open your Browser > Type / enter the Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Email > Settings / Scan to Email Setup

OR (New Format EWS / New Printers) - FYI for those reading (sample provided later in this message)

Open your Browser > Type / enter the Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

1)  Section General > Email Servers

And, next

2)  Section Scan > Scan to Email

==============================

Scan to Email – Two-Step Verification and Application Password

Email Account Security

"Scan to Email", “Scan to Network”, "HP Scan > Email" and "Share" are subject to your Email Account provider's security that governs how your email account interacts with "third party software / apps".

For example, Google (G-Mail) and other email providers, including (and not limited to) Apple, Microsoft, and Yahoo, might require that you enable 2-Step Verification AND create and use an App Password to interact with the printer software, printer applications, or any program that requires that software to access your email account.

Where the email provider's security requires it, the App Password is used in place of your normal email / account password in "third party" apps and software.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Example – Google / G-Mail

Notice from Google

Less secure apps & your Google Account

This video will quickly show you how to set up scan to email with an HP printer with G-mail AND keep the 2-Step verification security feature. App Passwords

Set up Scan to Email HP Printer with 2 Step Verification on G-mail and Google

Steps

Open your Google Security Webpage

Next, if not done, Switch ON 2-step verification

Turn on 2-Step Verification

Next, Complete the steps to open your mail security settings

Sign in with App Passwords

and

Create / Select app and (then) create your app password

• At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app you using > Select device and choose the device you’re using > Generate.
  • Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.  
  • Make note of the password  (snip or write it down)
  • Tap Done.

Tip: Most of the time, you’ll only have to enter an App Password once per app or device, so don’t worry about memorizing it.

Make note of your App Password >> Enter the 16 App Password (no spaces) in Scan to Email in place of your regular password.

Assign / set that new App Password in your Scan to Email profile as the password.

Save and Test

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Apple – “App Password” for third party applications

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comcast / Xfinity – “App Password” for third party applications

Turn Your Access to Third Party Email Programs On/Off in Xfinity Email

Yahoo Mail – “App Password” for third party applications

Yahoo - Generate and manage third-party app passwords

Microsoft

How to use two-step verification with your Microsoft account

Next >>> Using app passwords with apps that don't support two-step verification

Work or school accounts Manage app passwords for two-step verification

=== --- === --- === --- === --- ===

EWS_9025_Scan-to-Email_Setup_5EWS_9025_Scan-to-Email_Setup_5

Sample - EWS - New Format - Scan to Email - SMTP Profile Setup

EWS_9135_Scan_to_Email_Default_Options_4EWS_9135_Scan_to_Email_Default_Options_4

=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open 

Product Home - Printers

Enter the device type and model name of your HP product

OR

Select a saved product from HP Account Dashboard

OR

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.