Apps like Instagram not compatible in Slate 7 (20500 Views)
Tutor
Karthik_Murali
Message 1 of 12 (20,500 Views)
Accepted Solution

Apps like Instagram not compatible in Slate 7

After Instagram's recent launch of instagram video and new updates,  i tried to install Instagram in my Slate 7

However google play indicates the Slate 7 is not compatible with this app

I am surprised as i understand Slate 7 is running a jelly bean OS and should ideally be compatible right?

Pls help..

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 12 (20,459 Views)

Re: Apps like Instagram not compatible in Slate 7

I understand that apps like Instagram are not compatible with the Slate 7.

While it may meet the Android version requirement, many apps have other requirements that may cause it not to be compatible.  For example, Instagram needs to have GPS for it to install.  See the image below.

One permission the app needs is to query the GPS to provide location information.  However, the Slate 7 does not have GPS functionality.  You could try using advanced methods on a different Android device that Instagram works with to get the official APK (Android installer package) of Instagram, transfer it to a microSD card, and then install it from the microSD card.  However, this isn't supported by HP and you would need to enable installing apps from unknown locations in the settings of the Slate 7.  You could use APK Extractor on a different device to get the APK.   I can't guarantee how well Instagram will work on an unsupported device.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
Karthik_Murali
Message 3 of 12 (20,450 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Makes perfect sense. Yes I do have an app called Appinstaller which helps me install 3rd party apps with an APK.. i'll search for the instagram APK then in google

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 12 (20,441 Views)

You are most welcome. It sounds like you have a way to get around this limitation.

Thanks for updating the community. :smileyhappy:
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Master's Graduate
Holly_J
Message 5 of 12 (20,365 Views)

I've been using Instagram on my Slate 7; it works fine (if you load via the methods discussed elsewhere), so long as you don't need geotagging features!
------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the white Kudos star to the left if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Honor Student
Tippah
Message 6 of 12 (20,221 Views)

I also need help with apps that are not recognized- will list more later:

( I don't believe they are GPS related)

American Express

Western Federal Credit Union

Onstar Remotelink

Keyring

Lync 2010

Walgreens

HomeDepot

Lowes

Winn-Dixie

FlyDelta

ScottTrade Mobile

Fidelity Investments

United Airlines

(News)

ClickOrlando 

Tutor
Karthik_Murali
Message 7 of 12 (20,219 Views)

Most of these apps are indeed GPS required apps

you can go to google play store, search for the app, and check permissions tab

it will specify if the device requires gps or not

Btw a workaround is , you need to search in google as "app-name  apk"

example  "lync 2013 apk" and u can download the file using the links provided in the external sites and install in ur tablet using a "app installer" and select the apk file when ur asked !

simple .... !

Honor Student
Tippah
Message 8 of 12 (20,218 Views)

Continued -

Fox 35 Orlando

WFTV-9 Orlando

PayPal mobile

Aldi USA

TiVO for Tablets

Barcode Scanner

RedLasr barcode & QR scanner

ImDB Movies & TV

Please assist,

Tippah

Master's Graduate
Holly_J
Message 9 of 12 (20,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am not familiar with all of these apps, but my guess is that some of them feature barcode scanning. Slate 7 can scan QR codes, but cannot scan regular 2D barcodes (e.g. checks, product UPC codes) due to the fact that the camera has a fixed focus. 2D barcode scanning requires autofocus.

A Note on “Incompatible” Apps

The safest thing to do is to always load new apps from the Google Play Store. But now and then, you’ll find an app you want and the developer has “required” a feature, such as GPS, that is not available on the tablet (lack of GPS is the #1 reason for app incompatibility that I’ve found, so far, with Slate 7 – and many of us prefer not to use the geolocation features on blogging, news, or photo apps, anyway).

If you have an Android phone, or a friend with one, try using APK Extractor on the supported device. Send the apk file to your GMail account and load it on the Slate 7. (This way, you know that the apk came from the app on the Google Play Store and didn’t fall off a truck.) If it needs additional files, these will get downloaded from Google Play when you try to run the app, so it may take a bit more time to fully install. Provided you don’t care much about the truly unsupported features of the app (hello, Instagram and WordPress!) you may be able to run it just fine. NOTE: Barcode reader apps cannot read a 2D barcode due to lack of autofocus on the camera. They CAN read QR codes using the HP Slate 7.

Assuming that works and you’re happy with the result, I’d suggest taking just a moment to email the developer of your favorite “incompatible” apps, and asking them to provide an official, compatible release for the Slate 7 (for any tablet without the so-called “required” features). At least one app developer I talked to was surprised that it was showing up there as “incompatible” and sent me a direct link to the official apk outside of the Google Play Store.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the white Kudos star to the left if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Student
max45
Message 10 of 12 (12,797 Views)

hi,

Thanks for this info, i am hp employ too, but i couldnt sign in.    what else need i to do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation