Question

Intern
mjhuffer
Message 1 of 11 (8,302 Views)

Windows XP MTP

Are there drivers out there for this device for the MTP on Windows XP. We still use it as work and I can't trasfer files back and forth. It worked perfectly on Windows 7. 

Phone: Evo 4G LTE
Tablet: HP Slate 7
Laptop: Hp Envy 4

If I have helped you in and well, please hit me with a KUDOS
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 11 (8,293 Views)

Re: Windows XP MTP

I looked on the product page for the HP Slate 7 and there were no drivers available for download.  The drivers for connecting to the device for Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) come from Microsoft directly.  

I just attempted to connect a Slate 7 to multiple operating systems.  I was able to successfully connect and move files with Vista, 7, and 8; however, I was unable to do so with Windows XP Pro (32bit).  The Windows Update when connecting the device states that no driver is found.

I do not know if Microsoft has intentions of adding support for this, but at this time it does not appear to function for XP in this manner.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 3 of 11 (8,287 Views)

I haven't used XP for personal use in around 5 years so I can't test this directly, but the nexus seems to function the same way as it uses MTP only and not mass storage as the connection.

The folks over at XDA have a walkthrough of getting it working on XP with the Nexus 7, so it should be the same on the Slate. The are also workarounds if the initial steps dont work, or the file is missing. As always with things on XDA test this at your own risk, but it doesn't look like it will cause any issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2012786

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 11 (8,281 Views)

Thanks Jon-W for the tip and link to the XDA boards.

I followed the steps from the link and wanted to share my experience.  I used Windows XP Pro (32bit) and a Slate 7 for the testing.

Required items on Windows XP:

• .NET Framework 3.5
  • Windows XP Service Pack 3
  • Windows Media Player 10 or higher (I used Windows Media Player 11)

To get the MTP to work on Windows XP I modified the .inf file advised by the XDA board.  The file modified was as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.inf

**** Make sure to select View Hidden Files and Folders to access the inf folder under C:\WINDOWS.

I opened the file listed above using NotePad to view as text.  Look in the file and find the code as follows:

Spoiler
[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP

I changed the section of code in the file above to as follows:

Spoiler
[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_03F0&PID_5C1D&REV_0222

After making this addition to the file I closed it and saved it.  After doing so, I plugged the HP Slate 7 and selected Automatic Install for the drivers.  After doing so the PC update completed and I was able to access the files for the Slate 7 and the installed SD card.

Again, thanks Jon-W for the link as I was able to use the information for the Nexus 7 to compare to.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Intern
mjhuffer
Message 5 of 11 (8,264 Views)

Thank you, I looked around XDA for a while and could only find something on the old touchpad. I use 7 at home but my office is incompetant and feel the need to stay on XP.

Intern
mjhuffer
Message 6 of 11 (8,259 Views)

I did all the exact steps and it still won't notice my Slate 7. I really need to be able to transfer stuff at work so is there any other suggestions you have?

Intern
mjhuffer
Message 7 of 11 (8,253 Views)

OK I figured it all out after doing some research. Apparently I had a unique device hardware ID:

Make sure you have:

• .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
  • Windows XP Service Pack 3
  • Windows Media Player 10 or higher (I used Windows Media Player 11)

Next go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Other Devices and right click on MTP and go to properties

The go to the Details tab and go to the drop down box and select Harware IDS

You shold only need the top one but it wouldn't be a bad idea to write down both

Mine was:

USB\VID_03F0&PID_5D1D&REV_0222&MI_00

USB\VID_03F0&PID_5D1DMI_OO

Make sure you have this completely correct. Then go to C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.inf

but make sure you select to Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden files and folder 

or you will never see the inf folder.

Next find the wpdmtp.inf file and open it up in notepad.

Change:

[Generic.NTx86]

[Generic.NTamd64]

To:

[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_03F0&PID_5D1D&REV_0222&MI_00

[Generic.NTamd64]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_03F0&PID_5D1D&REV_0222&MI_00

where VID_03F0&PID_5D1D&REV_0222&MI_00 is you unique hardware ID. I'm not completely sure each harward is unique but it's not a bad idea to check. I think you can only get away with changing the top one if you are on an intel device and you can probably get away with changing the bottom on if you have an AMD device. I went ahead and changed both just to be sure.

Save it and close out then you should be able to plug in your Slate 7 and run through the automatic hardware installer. If you don't see a pop up when you plug it in, go to 

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add Harware and go through the dialogue until you find your MTP device. Let me know if you have any further questions

BIG THANKS to jason_h for getting me on the right track.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 11 (8,245 Views)

Hey,

Glad to hear you got it working!  It is interesting that the device ID is different.  I don't have access to more than just the one Slate 7 where I am located or I would check to see if the device IDs were different.

I am glad to know that there is a way, even if it is manually, to get the Slate 7 to work with XP for file transfers.  Great find Jon-W!

I am not an HP employee.
HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 9 of 11 (8,234 Views)

I knew the nexus 7 would be the best starting point, I'm glad you guys were able to find the small differences to get the slate set up since I didnt have access to one yet to do it manually. This should help out others who use XP as well.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 10 of 11 (8,201 Views)

Great teamwork everyone! 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation