Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8540w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I have an EliteBook 8540w laptop. I cannot unlock an SSD that has been blocked by automatic drivelock, I know the password, it only works in BIOS, if you can disable protection, it goes to the security tab. Bios during the lock was updated and reset.

How to unlock this SSD?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have an HP EliteBook 8540w laptop. It has an automatic drivelock, I know a password that I want remove. When installing another drive, everything is fine.

HP Recommended

@Mikhcail wrote:

Hello, I have an EliteBook 8540w laptop. I cannot unlock an SSD that has been blocked by automatic drivelock, I know the password, it only works in BIOS, if you can disable protection, it goes to the security tab. Bios during the lock was updated and reset.

How to unlock this SSD?

Hello @Mikhcail

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community. Note that I merged your 2 posts into one single thread here.

I am finding some difficulties understanding the issue you have.

Basically, to lock or unlock a device, you need to first insert it in the PC.

You need to start the PC and ensure you authenticane during the start up (enter the DriveLock or BIOS password)

Immediately after authenticating, press ENTER. For a second the PC will show HP logo and during this time, you will be able to press Esc or F10 and enter the BIOS.

Go to Security tab ->> Hard Drive utilities where you can select the SSD device and manage its options - either checked/unchecked, enabled or disabled. Eventually, you will need to Save the settings and then exit the BIOS.

Note that two types of DriveLock protection are available: DriveLock and Automatic DriveLock. The BIOS settings for DriveLock protection are disabled by default.
DriveLock and Automatic DriveLock settings are mutually exclusive, so only one of the options can be enabled.

When Automatic DriveLock is enabled, the BIOS automatically generates a user DriveLock password, and the BIOS admin password is used as the master DriveLock password. After the BIOS successfully authenticates the user during preboot authentication, the BIOS unlocks the drive.

Please, let me know if this helps or elaborate if further assistance is needed. You might also take pictures with your camera/smartphone and post them back here in your next reply

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I do not have a password for the BIOS. I know the master password automatic drivelock for SSD. In the BIOS setup, automatic drivelock, if you select SSD, goes to the security tab without changing the settings.

HP Recommended

I enter the password on the SSD.I enter the password on the SSD.I enter the BIOS passwordI enter the BIOS passwordI enter Automatic DrivelockI enter Automatic DrivelockI select Hard DriveI select Hard DriveI select Disable protectionI select Disable protectionthrows me into the security tab without changing the settingsthrows me into the security tab without changing the settings

How to remove a password for ssd if I don’t get the usual manual?

HP Recommended

Hi @Mikhcail

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the pictures - it's much appreciated.

Thanks to HP (and some other companies) I have access to many Elitebook notebooks, including the model you use 8540.

I just took one and tested the same setup you describe.

I could replicate the situation and successfully enabled/disable DL and AuDL.

Basically, you attempt to load BIOS, enter the password, go to Security and disable Automatic DriveLock.

But there's a step further - in order to complete the process and for the PC to save/remeber your wish, you need to eventually click on the Save button after you have clicked on Disable DriveLock.

Then, immediatley go to "File" tab, choose to Save the changes and Exit

This way you will exit the BIOS.

Then, after that, you should be able to go to BIOS and you should notice that the DriveLock and Automatic DriveLock should no longer be active. You may also try to "change" the BIOS password by entering new blank password, which will remove it.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

all the items that were before andon the security tabon the security tabon the file tabon the file tab

When you next boot up again, you are prompted to unlock the SSD.

When changing the BIOS password to unlock the SSD You need to enter the old password.

HP Recommended

Thank you again for the provided details, @Mikhcail

Basically, this is how it should work and it seems you are doing it correctly. It works here on my test machine 8540 and also I have never had a single issue with DriveLock on any HP computer I have used or managed.

Besides from updating the BIOS [which I think you already did] , there is nothing else I can offer to help.

You may want to contact HP Business Support for assistance on this.

Here is how to reach to HP:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Based on the country/location/PC model, contact options vary - web/chat/ticket/phone

If in the USA, you may call 1-(800)-334-5144  (toll free)

Ensure that you make it clear for the L1 agent who will "pick up" your call that you do know the password of Drive Lock but there might be something wrong in the unlock mechanism. Most likely the case will then be escalated to L2 engineer, etc. If the PC is out of warranty, I am not sure but they might charge for the service.

Please, keep me informed. Let me know if something is unclear.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.