Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a EliteDesk 800 G2 running Windows 7 64 bit and I performed a bios update which went well.

But I wondered why I cannot control my device with a mouse & keyboard with Windows 7 loaded but entering the BIOS allows me to move around the menus etc using the same keyboard and mouse ?

Upon starting Windows 7, it loads, but I have no control at all, no USB activity, inserting a USB dongle/drive/key whatever does nothing, in all ports.

But If I enter the BIOS ( latest version I believe updated via LAN/Online ) I can use actually my keyboard mouse ( not wired, using small USB dongle ) and I'm away, I upgraded from 2.16 to 2.53 I believe.

I tried installing Windows 7 again but I can't choose a language so that's a non-starter... so do I now have to buy a wired keyboard and mouse ?

please advise, thanks

-Tony

This must be my 20th attempt at posting this message without error

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I looked at both the tower and sff type 800 G2 and did not see any drivers for windows 7.  Googling I discovered that NewEgg at one time sold the 800 G2 with "windows 7 downgrade rights"

There are drivers for windows 10 here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-g2-tower-pc/7633297

not sure if they work in 7 but you could try.

It is very likely that Windows 7 does not support the chipset that does  wireless (or bluetooth?)  connectivity.

Is there a reason to use win7?  There is still a free upgrade to windows 10 available the last time I checked.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

My EliteDesk 800-G2 is the 'tiny-PC' form factor running a 6th Gen i3.

Now the reason I'm using Windows 7 is basically I'm using that to run a video-game I've made in Unity over the last few years but more than this I can hide the 'start-up' of Windows 7 ( tutorials on-line for that ) and boot my game.exe right away, it's small form-factor allows me to use a dedicated cabinet to house the unit, If you can imagine a 'bar-top' arcade machine running just my game ( it's an 80's retro shooter, typically arcade style ).

I was running this before on a micro-PC, then I saw these 'tiny PC' units and they are perfect for what I need, so I bought a second hand 'Levono ThinkCenter' and again using an old i3 processor I was impressed, but I just needed a little extra speed under the hood so to speak so I bought the G2 with a newer processor and that's it really.

If I could hide the start-up of Windows 10 I'd gladly use that for my 'arcade-machine' but the Windows 7 tutorial worked like a charm, you could flip off the machine and on again and it would boot my game, no errors, no problems, lovely.

I just didn't expect this problem, anyway thanks for the reply, I'll get a wired keyboard I suppose before I throw the baby out with the bathwater but I was at a loss with it all working in the BIOS but mouse/keyboard control being dead upon leaving the BIOS setup, anyway I'll keep trying and I'll report back here with better results hopefully.

HP Recommended

I've perhaps found a solution to hiding all traces of Windows upon start-up within Windows 10 itself, so that would be a much more healthy and manageable solution for my little game machine, see the link below for instructions, thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/r5VGf

HP Recommended

@13thDisciple wrote:

I've perhaps found a solution to hiding all traces of Windows upon start-up within Windows 10 itself, so that would be a much more healthy and manageable solution for my little game machine, see the link below for instructions, thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/r5VGf

Thanks!   did not know that was possible. I have several systems running BOINC with autologin enabled and I may use this feature.  They all run 10.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.