Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

we have three users so far with a slow boot performance, where the device got stuck before the login screen. All reported with the EliteBook 840 G1

Some device informations:

- joined into our company domain

- Bitlocker enabled

BIOS: v1.20

What is the issue?

The users reported, that when they use the device at home it is getting stuck during the boot process. The login screens is not appearing or comes with a huge delay of >15min. If the login screen is there with the huge delay, then the notebook is not usable since it is very slow (CPU with high load), but we had cases where a user left it running over night and even after 12h the login screen was not there.

The strange thing is, that it releases the lock immediatly when the user plugs in our company network cable, so it looks that something is waiting for a response, but without or a random timeout. If no network cable is plugged in and all network cards disabled, then the issue can happen.

We had some early devices, which have been delivered with BIOS 1.08 at that time and none of these devices has the same issue. The affected devices have been all delivered with BIOS 1.20. Early this year we have seen that HP removed the version 1.20 from the website and only 1.12 was available until last week,  where HP released 1.30A.

Of course we tried that BIOS version, but it did not resolve the issue.

A call had been created with Microsoft and we provided them with a lot of system logs, boot trace logs, ... but we could not resolve it.

What we tried so far:

- BIOS update to latest 1.30A

- latest network card drivers from Intel

- latest Windows Updates

- specific Windows hotfixes

We though, that it could be linked to our Build Process, but we have different models and especially the 820 G1, which should be very similar than the 840 G1, but no other different model reported this issue.

No user reported this issue so far with the early purchased 840 G1's (running more than one year), but they run with BIOS 1.08. Except the BIOS the rest  of the hardware should be the same. The devices with issue have been purchased in June/July 2014, but delivery started about September/October to the users, where we had as well the first report of a user.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to Notebook - HP ProBook, ZBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE. - Hp Forum moderator

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I had the same issue with the HP Elitebook 850 G1's, so I am not sure if this will help. 

Upgrade first to the latest bios version 1.30
Then go back into the bios under the "ADVANCED" tab and arrow down to the "Built-in Device Options"
Make sure you check "Wake on LAN in Battery Mode"
Then save and restart.

You may have to play with a couple of the other LAN or boot settings in the bios to get this to work, but this is what fixed 6 systems with the very same symptoms as you are describing.  These units are on Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

HP wanted me to ship the system there and have the end user be out of a system for 2 weeks.

Good luck

HP Recommended

NOC.

You may want to try here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207140 

REO

HP Recommended

We had this issue with these machines on Win 7, too.  We found that disabling LAN/WAN switching in BIOS fixed this for us.

Have not experienced this issue on Win 8 or 8.1.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Andrew

HP Recommended

there weem to have been a conflict with the lan/wlan bios setting and power management features of the intel nic drivers. If you disable the setting the problem should not occur. the bios 1.30 version along with the latest intel network drivers should take care of the issue as well (this was related to low-power mode used in suspend and return from suspend)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

I had to wait until the user had time to bring in the notebook.

The short answer is: it does not resolve the issue in our case.

I did then an update of the network card (used the official driver from HP) as well as chipset and the Wifi-card.

So far it looks good now, but as last time  I should wait a couple of days, since it looks great as well and then after few days the issue reoccured.

This notebook is the same, where the previous user reported the same issues and the "new" user has it as well. 

For the first user, I replaced the notebook with our lab device, manufactured in 2013, and he did not had the issue anymore. So it looks like something is really stupid with the devices of the same delivery, probably manufactured on a Monday :smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Thank you for this fix.  This made me a hero to my boss when his 840 g1 was having this when undocked a few weeks ago and now on my own with it docked.  So this is a good fix for the issue either way. 

thank you

Doc

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.