Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 865 16 inch G10 Notebook PC (70A98AV)
Linux

Hi,

The Ryzen 9 PRO 7940HS is being sold with a 35-54W configurable TDP. I didn't expect it to be able to sustain the full 54W, but the baseline 35W is bare the minimum to make the upgrade worth over the cheaper AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U (which is 15-30W). I bought the bulkier 16" over the 14" mostly because of thermals: I wanted to be sure that it had enough room to breath without overheating. I'm a full stack software developer and I use my laptop mostly docked doing heavy software compilations, but occasionally I also make sustained use of its iGPU (games, compute...). It's the latter which is more problematic: you rarely notice a 30% mid compilation slowdown (unless you're compiling something super heavy like Chromium which translates into hours of additional waiting), but it's a night and day difference in games where 30% makes the difference between playable and unplayable. Also the heat buildup is much more steep with CPU+GPU combined loads to the point that sometimes the thermal protection shuts the laptop down before it has the chance to throttle down to 25W.
The ambient temperature is 20 °C (~68 °F) and if I start a game it runs in the 35-40W range for the first 10 minutes and then it starts throttling down to 24-25W in the next 5 minutes. Temperatures in the 35-40W range are around 100 °C (212 °F), while sustained temperatures at 25W never exceed 83 °C (181 °F).
First and foremost it should never ever shutdown because it reaches the thermal threshold. Also it should be capable of sustaining at least 35W: it's a big bulky 16 inches chassis from a reputable manufacturer sold with a 35-54W APU.
I've already upgraded to the latest 01.04.10 bios revision via LVFS (fwupd) and I'm running Arch Linux with the latest kernel 6.8.5, but I've also backported the AMD P-State Preferred Core patchset from kernel 6.9 in the hope that it gets a little bit colder by preferring the most efficient cores whenever possible.
Anyway this has little to do with Linux: it's either a thermal design issue or a production defect of my specific sample.
I hope it's the latter because I've used Dell laptops in my business for decades and never had such issues but I've always considered HP to be as reputable as Dell and I would be be very surprised if that ends up being a design flaw.
Please let me know your experience so that I can compare it to mine.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello.

Your laptop shutting down due to CPU thermal issues in a normal environment should not happen. I presume the fans are working hard and the airflow vents both in and out of the laptop are unobstructed and cleaned of dust/lint/debris? Has this problem been there from the very beginning?

Linux + AMD power management support has received a lot of updates and I expect this to continue. The Linux kernel AMD support just hasn't been on the same level as with Windows and may lack some crucial power management stuff on the chipset level as well.

Because HP does not support anything beyond Windows, they may ask you to try recreating the issue with Windows. So, if you have the means to install Windows on a separate drive and you can recreate the symptoms, then you will have easier time with the HP support as well. That's something I would try just to exclude any software problems.

HP Recommended

The airflow vents are unobstructed, the fans are spinning like crazy and I had this problem since the very beginning.
I didn't try to reproduce the issue with Windows yet, but I will if I have to. My understanding is that it's the firmware which decides when to throttle, so whether it is capable to sustain 35 W or not shouldn't be influenced by the operating system.

The shutting down issue on the other end could be influenced by how aggressively the frequency governor asks the CPU to boost, but in the end it shouldn't happen anyway (it should simply ramp down earlier in response).

HP how much sustained power did you engineer this laptop to handle? Is it a bad thermal paste or a design flaw? I've benchmarked it against any other Phoenix laptop available on the market and on average it struggles to keep pace even with the AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U due to thermals.

HP Recommended

As I suspected It turns out HP makes good laptops, but apparently TERRIBLE docks.

The issue is caused by the HP Thunderbolt G4 dock: as soon as I unplug the dock and attach the bundled USB-C power adapter instead it can easily sustain 41 Watts of load.

This is not the only issue I have with this dock, so hopefully it's a faulty one: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Elitebook-865-G10-loses-connection-with-the-HP/m...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.