Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP Probook 450 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Hi HP experts & all others,

I plugged  new SSD "Corsair Force Series MP510 NVMe PCIe Gen3  x4  M.2  SSD"  and the laptop just shows:

"Boot device not found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0)"

When I run the system diagnostics and do a hard drive check the laptop says "No hard drive installed. Please check that the power and data cables are connected properly."

I have already to reseated the SSD and no luck, when I tried swapping back to the old SSD it still works perfectly.

The new SSD is clearly not faulty as I'm able to see all the files on it and the laptop is able to see and read it via the adaptor. I tried running the laptop in legacy boot mode but no luck.

It's been driving me crazy for the last 4 days, any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. I don't see any reason why this SSD is not supported by the motherboard

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

According to the manual you can use only SATA M.2 storage according to page 3 from the manual here. However your SSD is using NVME so it will not work.

The Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E250BW) should work as this one is using SATA instead of NVME.

--------
If the answer is helpful mark it with Kudos by clicking on the kudos button. If your problem is solved then mark it as solved. Thanks 🙂

P.S.
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ok, suggest some converter for connectivity between M.2 PCIe NVME to M.2 NGFF 2280 for probook 450 G4.

There should be some solution. Guide accordingly

HP Recommended

Sorry, but if you buy a car who runs on petrol you couldn´t ask for a converter so that it can run on diesel... the engine is total different, which is the same here as well.

If you buy a Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E250BW)  it will work as mentioned.

--------
If the answer is helpful mark it with Kudos by clicking on the kudos button. If your problem is solved then mark it as solved. Thanks 🙂

P.S.
HP Recommended

Ha Ha Ha, petrol<>Deisel

why introduced serial to USB, when mother board was not designed for USB.

Why introduced VGA to HDMI Converter when motherboard was without HDMI connector.

Converters are solutions.

Laptop motherboard is not engine. Converters introduced to use new technology with old one. 

suggest accordingly if you "Mr.Bastin W" are capable...Other wise others requested to suggest solution....

HP Recommended

Converter are always poor solutions to allow users to close the gap between an old world and a modern one because for them there is a need to do that. For example the serial to USB topic you mention. The manufacturer from the serial device no longer exists on the market as there are newer and better technologies. Another good example is the VGA to HDMI Converter you mentioned. VGA is an analog interface while HDMI is a digital one (on top VGA is a video interface and HDMI includes both audio and video). Typically, devices with the VGA interface have lower video resolution compared to modern HDMI devices.

However converter do not close the technology gap! So you have a modern Notebook, which offer a great video resolution and wish to connect a VGA screen to it ... Its working (someway around) but without having the whole new experience... Same is true for all kind of other adapters. Your issue is exactly the same "problem".

By the way: The community is spending there free time here in order to help persons who are thankful for that support. Without my statement you maybe wouldn´t have found the information that this isn´t supported, you should be a little bit more thankful, don´t you?

Anyway, I´m out here now... good luck

--------

P.S.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.