Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC, L0T70UA#ABL
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

How to reproduce the problem:

1. Turn on the notebook;

2. Log in

I'd attach screenshots, but everytime I try to 'Choose File' it crashes the page!!

The one screenshot I wanted to show was of TaskManager, where it shows that I have 10 instances of Chrome running in the "Background Processes" section - even though I can't start up Chrome 99% of the time, and the other 1% it crashes.

The other screenshot I wanted to show was the text of my forum posting that I was typing up when the page froze - that was fun. 

At the time, my list was:

• IE is slow all the time;
  • I can't connect this HP notebook to my HP wireless printer - even though I'm able to connect my iPhone, iPad, Blackberry Priv, Samsung notepad and Chromebook to it. 
  • Searching for Windows updates causes the laptop to hang - it just keeps on searching...

This has been the worst laptop I have ever purchased. I had the network card replaced under warranty, and spent $65 on online support - which was useless, and now the warranty has expired and I'm left with a PoS. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Chrome opens a process for each tab opened, for each plugin, for each extension and web app. Basically this is done so that if a plugin or one part of the whole crashes, not the whole browser crashes. You probably have the background processes of Chrome start up with Windows. Try going to task manager and in the tab startup see which applications are starting with Windows and disable any unnecessary ones.

The PC has a celeron processor which will not be the fastest of CPUs, however it should be good for everyday use of the PC. I would try running an antimalware program to see if the computer is clean and maybe speed up navigation. Use these two programs by Malwarebytes:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Download > Install > RUN > update > scan > reboot when prompted > Run > delete files from quarantene > reboot > uninstall program.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Download > Run

This should clean anything that is slowing down Browser. 

Update Drivers. I see that there is Bios update, have you done this update?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-r200-notebook-pc-series/7486447/model/7757191

What is the model of the printer?

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply - I do appreciate your efforts. The BIOS file doesn't download: I looked in my Downloads folder, and waited for my browser to display anything that indicated a SP file was downloaded, but nothing. I have Norton Utilies installed and run scans whenever it prompts me. The Chrome issue is perplexing: every other PC I have ever touched can run Chrome without a problem, but this one fs it up. And why can't I run Citrix receiver, or GoPro Studio, or any other normal program, like I would expect a brand-name laptop to do. I think my next step is to take the laptop outside, smash it to pieces with a hammer, and then courier the pieces back to Palo Alto. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.