Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 6570b Base Model Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I have an HP Probook 6570b, and after I installed a WWAN 4G Module, the laptop won't start. Lock up the screen as soon as it turns on, doesn't even enter the BIOS.

The 4G module I'm using is a Quectel EC200A-EU. This module has a mini PCIe Interface and should work with the correct drivers, or if it isn't compatible, shouldn't block the laptop from starting.

Well, please tell me what you think about it.

Thanks,

Filipe

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Filipe:

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of any model WWAN adapter other than those listed in chapter 3, page 42 of your notebook's service manual from working.

The card you buy must also have the HP part number on it or it will not work.

c03565466.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I was aware of the compatible modules, but I didn't know that was a whitelist in the BIOS preventing other WWAN Modules from working. I think it's a bit silly HP did this, or maintain this after the model has been discontinued. The laptop is mine, I should have the right to decide which WWAN module I want to use with it.

Is there any easy way to add this Quectel model to the whitelist? Or remove/delete the whitelist from the BIOS?

Other thing, one of the compatible modules is the  HP lt2523 LTE/HSPA+ Mobile Broadband Module with the part number 710790-001, but I only can find this model for sale, with the part number 675793-001, but I don't know the differences or if this part number works in EU. Do you have any idea about this?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know if any other part number for the same model adapter will work, and I would have no idea how to circumvent the whitelist.

If the BIOS whitelist does not include the specific hardware ID for the other WWAN part number, you will end up with the same problem.

Since it is a cellular device, it has to meet regulations for specific absorption rate (SAR), and at the time HP only tested a limited number of cards at the time. 

They certainly couldn't SAR test a WWAN module that was not available at the time with the existing antenna system.

Perhaps that was the way HP dealt with not being held liable if someone installed equipment that was not SAR-tested for use on that specific platform.

And yes, the whitelist thing is absolutely frustrating to all of us who want to install more modern equipment in our notebooks.

No doubt Portugal has the same or similar regulations for SAR testing equipment.

Here are the US regulations:

Before the (fcc.gov)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.