Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hi! Om wondering if i pulgged an( msata to sata adapter)in the msata port and then hook up my harddrive to it.. im doing this cuz my regular sata connector on the mainboard is broken! The HDD has bootloader and windows on it
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Broo_sy

Thank you for the update, 
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

Yes, personally as a tech I can tell you that you may use the mSATA to SATA converter/adapter to your advantage in this scenario as long as you already have the OS installed on the HDD that you are using with the converter,

however, HP recommends fixing the damaged part as it may cause other issues going forward,

That said, you could check the HP Parts store & HP Parts surfer to find prices of replacement motherboard to get a working SATA port,

I've attached the links above to help you get the details you need.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Broo_sy

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are in need of information about the mSata SSD in your laptop,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums to conclude that the part is broken? if yes - How?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello again,

Sorry for not including the product number earlier, however here it is:
HP envy 15 Notebook PC
Model: 15_j174eo05
Product: G3L05EA#UUW

The problem began with random blue screens"something went wrong with your pc critical procces failed"

So i removed the back cover, the SATA flat connector and the HDD.. then when i put them back on.. i ran into the error: pls install an operating system on the HDD. I tried listening to it and noticed that it's not spinning.. put a linux live usb and still not recognised. I tried the HDD on another Laptop and it worked just fine. So the HDD is not being connected properly to my motherboard. I tried jiggling the flat sata connector while powered on and heard it spinning! But it just won't stay for along time. So i figured why not using the mSata port with an adapter to connect the HDD since obviously the regular SATA port is defective or loose becuase it's like a small door. Until i heard people saying that i can't boot up my system from the Msata port because of bios restrictions, and it's clearly true since there is no msata option in the boot order.

I'm out of warranty and there are no hp stores nerby what do you suggest?
HP Recommended

@Broo_sy

Thank you for the update, 
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

Yes, personally as a tech I can tell you that you may use the mSATA to SATA converter/adapter to your advantage in this scenario as long as you already have the OS installed on the HDD that you are using with the converter,

however, HP recommends fixing the damaged part as it may cause other issues going forward,

That said, you could check the HP Parts store & HP Parts surfer to find prices of replacement motherboard to get a working SATA port,

I've attached the links above to help you get the details you need.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for your support. Can you provide me with the links regarding the parts?
HP Recommended

@Broo_sy

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts.

Normally, the links are available on most search engines such as Scour or google, that said, here it is:

HP Parts surfer = to find prices and part numbers depending on your region and product information: Click here to access

HP Parts store = to find the parts using the part number you found on the parts surfer: Click here to access.

Thank you again for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.