Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP probook 450 G3 i7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP probook 450 G3 i7 model P4P02EA Laptop

as you know that this model support M.2 slot for SSD 

my questions 

1. Can i install M.2 SSD and use it as a primary drive for the OS and keep the HDD as a storage drive at the same time ?

2. What is the best, compatible and recommended M.2 SSD for HP probook 450 G3 i7 model P4P02EA Laptop ?

many thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

MLC vs TLC will not be an issue...MLC actually has a longer lifecycle but the difference is not something you are likely to ever even test. When SSDs first became popular there was a lot of concern about their lifespan but they are turning out to be more robust than first thought. I now have a couple SSDs that have been running in computers that are on 24/7 for over 4 years. 

The simple way to move your OS and data and apps to the new M.2 disk is to make a Windows backup with system image of your existing installation.  Windows 7 has this option. You need an external drive. When you get the backup made, remove the hard drive and leave just the M.2 disk in the computer. Boot from the Windows 7 installer and choose "repair" and restore from system image and point it to the system image you have in the external drive. Once you get the restore done on the M.2 disk, boot it a couple times then install the old hard drive and format it for use for storage. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You might want the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 37 for the best picture of the location of the M.2 mSSD. It is inside the small service door. 

The laptop only supports the SATA type of M.2 disk and this is the recommended 256 module:

256-GB, TLC 827583-001

Looks like this-3 prongLooks like this-3 prong

The Manual cuts off at a 256 gig and you can go larger. This 512 gig for example would work:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-512GB-X300s-Single-Sided/dp/B00K7J9H80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511914...

Post back with any more questions. Yes, you can put the OS on this M.2 and use the mechanical hard drive for storage.

We can help with the steps to do that.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply and support , Of course I will click accept this solution 

just 2 more questions

1. After reading about the M.2 SSD in depth , I noticed that the duarable NAND chips are the MLC ones ( as the example you prposed 512 Gb Sandisck ) but the manual recommend TLC NAND ... is there any problem or compatibility futural issue to use the MLC ones ?

2. Could you help and provide me with the nessessary steps to have the M.2 SSD as the primary drive for the OS ( Windows 7 pro ) and keep the original 1 Tb HDD as a mass storage drive ? by the way the process is 6th generation so I belive will accept Windows 7 

many thanks in advance for your support 

HP Recommended

MLC vs TLC will not be an issue...MLC actually has a longer lifecycle but the difference is not something you are likely to ever even test. When SSDs first became popular there was a lot of concern about their lifespan but they are turning out to be more robust than first thought. I now have a couple SSDs that have been running in computers that are on 24/7 for over 4 years. 

The simple way to move your OS and data and apps to the new M.2 disk is to make a Windows backup with system image of your existing installation.  Windows 7 has this option. You need an external drive. When you get the backup made, remove the hard drive and leave just the M.2 disk in the computer. Boot from the Windows 7 installer and choose "repair" and restore from system image and point it to the system image you have in the external drive. Once you get the restore done on the M.2 disk, boot it a couple times then install the old hard drive and format it for use for storage. 

HP Recommended
Great thanks to you and your support

Best regards
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.