Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Not sure.  How do I find out?

HP Recommended

@sirparkinson

Check the Device Manager.

The document in my previous post explains.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I know not everyone is comfortable with editing Registry but this is the solution offered at Microsoft Answers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-update-installa...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur

I must be blind, or mising the obvious.  Found a "virtual" display driver, uninstalled it and, as I type, Windows is preparing the install of Windows 10.

Many thanks for your help - you were on the right track, I just missed it!

Kind Regards

Paul

HP Recommended

@sirparkinson

Ah!  I never thought to ask about virtual display driver.  I was headed in a similar, but different direction with the inquiry. 

I will add this to my notes.  Smiling.

I hope the migration proved successful.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

No luck with migration still..... Now have an error after waiting a couple of hours for "installation" to complete it say failed with a code.  Will have to search the Windows knowledge base for the code and see what happens.  Trying again now as I didn't write the code down!!

Will let you kknow how I get on......

HP Recommended

Paul,

Rats.

• Try @CherylG's first idea > create an install Media

• Check the BIOS and make sure the Display setting is not (in some way) compromised
  • Boot mode = discrete may work (if applicable)
  • Disconnect any extraneous cables (leave keyboard and mouse attached)  (Unifier connection to a wireless Logitech mouse MIGHT offer a conflict, disconnect the Unifier if you see issues.)
  • Unmount (disconnect) any remote systems that you may have mapped onto the system (backup disks / NAS units).
  • Disconnect the printer (if applicable) - may as well remove print driver; migration kills the program
  • Shut down / remove / disconnect Security Software
  • Remove Office software - have your key handy for the installation later.  (If Office software was purchased online from Microsoft, it is only needful for you to log into your Microsoft web account to obtain a copy of your registered software.)
  • Remove everything you can -- be prepared to install your games, Office software, the printer, and whatever else you remove (photo editing software, design software...)
  • IF the system is dual boot with Linux, make sure the boot order is Windows first, else you have to sit in front of the system to direct the first boot -- if you miss the "window of opportunity", you may end up having to repair Grub and possibly rerunning the migration yet again.  Rats.

After the cleanup (removing stuff) > Reboot the system from an OFF condition before starting the migration.

I am inferring this from some information I was given by colleagues; I admit up front that I am not well versed in some of these areas.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.