Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I  have installed a new Zbook 15 for a client. While setting it up, but before domain attach, I would notice in File Explorer that a Z: drive would appear for a short time. When I attempted to view the drive, it would respond that I did not have permission. Looking in Disk Management, there is only the C: drive showing as having an assigned drive letter.

Now that the PC is domain attached, I am periodically losing the mapped Z: drive from group policy. Anyone have any ideas on some HP software or setting that might be taking this drive letter assignment? 

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Microsoft should tell us about this drive. Anyway, it is a temporary drive which holds information during Windows updates and it will go away then re-appear again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked into this a little more and found this over at TenForums. 

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/74921-mysterious-drive-z-appears.html

The poster seems to think that HP Support Assistant is causing the issue. I was at this client again today, so I set Support Assistant to not check for updates, thinking this may keep the system from stepping on the existing Z: drive map. I'll update in a couple of days with more info.

HP Recommended

The client contacted me again yesterday, saying his Z: drive was again missing. I asked if this is the first time since last Monday that this had happened, and he admitted that he didn't know, as the only day of the week he access it is on Monday.

I went ahead and uninstalled HP Support Assistant this time. I will update in a few days with more info.

HP Recommended

Well, the Z: drive is still occasionally showing up, causing my client to lose his Z: drive mapping. At this point, I still believe this is an HP issue, as I have yet to encounter this at any other client. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.