Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Good Afternoon,

This is a silly and trivial problem that is monumentally solution-resistant.

I have on order an ASUS Essence STX PCie sound card that requires 20W auxuliary power to run  the headphone amplifier.

The connector on the card looks like this:

Which connoisseurs of connectors will recognize as 4-pin Molex male.

The thing is, the only auxiliary power connectors I can find in the z620 are two 6-pin PCI female for power to GPU's.  I'd like to have those available for GPU's- the system will have a Tesla M2090 that can run off a single 8-pin but is specified to run on one 6 pin + one 8-pin.

I've looked through hundreds of cables from several sources and can not find a 4-pin molex fem to 6-pin PCI male cable OR 4-pin Molex fem to 4-molex fem > Molex male to 6-pin PCI. 

Are there any other power sources to which I can connect?  SATA power ? Anything?  I suppose I could eventually contrive a two cable solution, e.g, PCI power to SATA power  to> gender change SATA power to 4-pin Molex Female,  but my head is spinning already,...

It surprises me that a sophisticated, high performance, and expensive workstation such as the z620 with up to 80 PCIe lanes for peripherals is so sparse of power connections.   The Dell Precision T5500 has two 6-pin PCI, two empty Molex 4-pins, connectors for a second optical drive, and etc.

This is a small detail that is disproportionately difficult.

Thanks!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bambi,

I must be missing a complexity, but I think all you need is below, and the published wattage sure seems more than enough.  Let me know if you want references on a 4-pin-molex max wattage.  Plug the SATA power male end into an unused SATA power female up near your DVD R/W's SATA power cable.  The power cable has the female ends, and the back of the DVD R/W has a male end.  My Z620 has spare females on the cable up there.  There also are "2x SATA power 15-pin male to dual female Y splitter" adapter cables, but I don't think you need one of those to tap in. 

WallyWorld.jpg

or:   StarTech.com LP4SATAFM12 12-Inch SATA to Molex LP4 Power Cable Adapter.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Bambi,

I must be missing a complexity, but I think all you need is below, and the published wattage sure seems more than enough.  Let me know if you want references on a 4-pin-molex max wattage.  Plug the SATA power male end into an unused SATA power female up near your DVD R/W's SATA power cable.  The power cable has the female ends, and the back of the DVD R/W has a male end.  My Z620 has spare females on the cable up there.  There also are "2x SATA power 15-pin male to dual female Y splitter" adapter cables, but I don't think you need one of those to tap in. 

WallyWorld.jpg

or:   StarTech.com LP4SATAFM12 12-Inch SATA to Molex LP4 Power Cable Adapter.

HP Recommended

SDH,

Yes, well done.  Your mention of the spare power cable near the optical drive  is the key to the solution.  There is a cable that disappears into a slot under the DVD drive bottom.  I'd fussed with it earlier,  but it appeared to be attached.  When I turned the z620 onto the faceplate and could see into the slot a bit, it was then possible to see that it was an SATA power plus Molex 4-pin female that was reluctant to pull through the narrow slot.  Possibly that pairing is to facilitate adding either a second optical drive, hot swap drive, or a card reader in the lower 5.25" drive bay.  The narrow slot helps to prevent the loose cable moving about in the case.

I think I shall have a Molex  male to Molex female.

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Wait Bambi.... there's more.... the famous male floppy power to molex female adapter!    That will handle about 50 watts total, from  HERE.  You can find less fancy ones....    I used this to feed a plasmaholographic projector card in a xw6600 when I was running short.  You do have to forever sacrifice use of your floppy drive, however.

For Bambi.jpg

Floppy power cable.jpg

HP Recommended

SDH,

That is interesting.  I saw the tiny connector that branches off the supply for the optical drive and was trying to remember where I'd last seen one of those- of course- in the 2007 Dell Dimension E520 that runs the television machine.

I didn't realize that connector can carry so many W's.  That would be a way to connect the sound card and leave the other two aux power connections available.

From no extra power connections to more than necessary!  I shall start looking for a "plasmaholographic projector card" for my ongoing confuse-a-cat program.

Thanks again,

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.