Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Just a quick question about a CPU upgrade

I have 2x X5550 - Boot Block Date: 1/30/09 - Bios: 786G4 v03.57

Would like 2x X5675

Are the X5675 compatable?, or am i going to have to stick with the 5500 series?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was checking in my files for you..... 1/7/10 is the boot block date of the "revision 1" motherboard.  So, you have the original motherboard rather than the updated one. 

If you want to do the project it is not too bad to swap in one of the more recent motherboards. 

SSD will get you the most bang for the buck in terms of speed boost.  I think the Z600 is still a SATA Gen II motherboard (check on that... my recollection is that the use of SATA Gen III drives started with the Z620, and there may be issues if you try SATA Gen III drives in a SATA Gen II workstation according to HP).  Assuming it is a SATA Gen II workstation then my favorite for that is the Intel 320 series 300GB version.  You can find those new on eBay for a very reasonable cost.  I have also bought them used off eBay and almost always the life left reported by the excellent Intel "Toolbox" software is 100%.  That same software allows you to update the SSDs firmware very easily, if needed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If you do a google search for Spare parts Z600 you will find two motherboards available... the higher number one is the later version.  If you search in the forum's search bar for Z600 boot block date you will find the specific date of the boot block for the original motherboard, and the later version one.

That is the best way to know exactly what you have.  You always can consider swapping in the "revision 1" later motherboard which can run the later version processors.

HP Recommended

Well, i've found out that it's quicker to pull my tower apart and use google, than try the search

engine on the forums 🙂

Downside is i'm stuck with X5570 as my upgrade (if i can find a reasonably priced set), at least i

can dual CPU with it, maxed out ram next is the next step.

HP Recommended

I was checking in my files for you..... 1/7/10 is the boot block date of the "revision 1" motherboard.  So, you have the original motherboard rather than the updated one. 

If you want to do the project it is not too bad to swap in one of the more recent motherboards. 

SSD will get you the most bang for the buck in terms of speed boost.  I think the Z600 is still a SATA Gen II motherboard (check on that... my recollection is that the use of SATA Gen III drives started with the Z620, and there may be issues if you try SATA Gen III drives in a SATA Gen II workstation according to HP).  Assuming it is a SATA Gen II workstation then my favorite for that is the Intel 320 series 300GB version.  You can find those new on eBay for a very reasonable cost.  I have also bought them used off eBay and almost always the life left reported by the excellent Intel "Toolbox" software is 100%.  That same software allows you to update the SSDs firmware very easily, if needed.

HP Recommended

Yup, copy that, it is Sata II it is indeed 🙂

Load time isn't to bad, it's no 45 second wonderthough 🙂 has the 160gb WD VelociRaptor

wich i presume is the original (it must be so very tired by now), with the Radeon HD6770 1gb

i just "need" to get all ram slots filled in a uniform maner, the chipset was a "would like to have

so lets get a plan made" .....

A SSD plan wouldn't go to far amise though 🙂

cheer's for the product direction 🙂

HP Recommended

I'll assume you're using W7Pro64.... or W10Pro64.  Any 32-bit OS is not going to give you what you need.  You can W10 activate your workstation if you know how to clone your W7Pro64 install and then just go back to W7 until you're ready to truly upgrade.  This is no cost until end of July, and possibly beyond.  Once you W10 activate your box it stays that way for the future.

I liked the Raptors back when.... the referenced Intel SSD is a quantum leap ahead of that, however.  The difference between a 7200 rpm HDD and a 10,000 rpm raptor was noticable as a bit snappier.  The SSD is a huge change, in contrast.

A benefit of your Raptor drive is that it probably is a 2.5" form factor in a 3.5" form factor Western Digital "Ice Pack" adapter.... you can use that Ice Pack for your new SSD to keep cost down.  That shifts the SATA data/power connectors to the left properly in the drive drawers.

HP Recommended

Sure am on Win7Pro64

I have swapped out one of the Raptors with a Patriot Blase 120 SSD (all i had easily on hand), mounted onto the Western Digital "Ice Pack" adapter and even though it's sata III it seems to have settled without much fuss, not the best preforming SSD out there but it is connected to sata II after all.

I suspect the only two economical upgrades left is to fill out the ram, and then balance out a a possible graphics card purchase 🙂

HP Recommended

Balance... that is the thing to go for.  If you have one subsystem out of balance it will affect the overall experience.  Luckily W7 has the Windows Experience Index built in.... and there is a way to get accurate readings.

Navigate to C drive/ Windows/ Performance/ WinSAT/ DataStore/ delete everything in there/ back out and reboot, and then go to Computer - Properties and note that the Windows Experience Index will indicate that it has never been run.  Run it and you will get an accurate reading now, and can tell if you have a weak link.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.