Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've used Bitlocker to encrypt my drives since getting my HP Elite 8300 SFF (which shipped with Windows 8).

Managing the Bitlocker encrypted drives was never a problem... all opperations worked perfectly. I upgraded to Windows 10 and all the encrypted drives continued to work perfectly.

After adding a new PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card to my PC, I was informed that "hardware had changed" each time my PC booted up and I had to enter the bitlocker recovery key.

To resolve this, I deceided to turn off Bitlocker (allowing the disk to decrypt) then turn Bit locker back on again (on my system disk). When trying to turn Bitlocker back on; I get the error message:

This device cannot use a Trusted Platform Module. Your administrator must set the "Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM" option in the "Require additional authentication at start-up" policy for OS volumes.

The HP Elite 8300 does have a TPM module

Manufacturer: IFX
Manufacturer Version: 3.17
Specification Version: 1.2

I have tried reseting the TPM module and re-initialising it. I've also configured the OS to have full interatcion rights with the TPM (set within in the BIOS).  It appears to be functioning perfecly and is "Ready to use" according to the Window management consol snap-in.

Reading other forums, I gather that the most likely cause is the currently installed driver for the TPM module. Apparently installing a vendor specific driver instead of the Microsoft generic driver (dated 2006) should solve the problem.

I cannot see a TPM driver listed for my model of PC under the HP support site and the TPM vendor (who I belive is Infineon) only has drivers for XP / Vista on their website).

Assuming that HP don't intend to relase Windows 10 specific drivers for the HP ELite 8300, I can't see how I'm going to resolve this (other than reverting to Windows 8, which I don't wish to do).

I'd really appreciate any suggestions / advice anybod can offer to get the TPM working with BitLocker.  I know about the work-around (relaxing policies to allow Bitlocker ot work without a TPM) but I'd like to use the TPM as it's a neat, built-in solutiuon.

Regards
Al

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I suggest you remove any 'branded' tpm driver, from device manager, and let windows 10 use its own. That should take care of things

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.