Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I got myself a used and cheap HP Z210 some days ago. I researched for possible upgrades but I'm confused about the possibilities.

First of all there are old manuals and data sheets which state that only 16 gigs of ram (ECC or nonECC) are possible. This can't be true, because on many websites they sell this thing with 32 gigs of ram. So maybe the other information in those papers is outdated too. On some sites they say 16 gigs of nonECC or 32 gigs of ECC ram are possible.

I've got an i5-2400, so according to the manual only nonECC-memory can be used. So I would be limited to 16 gigs. But the manual also says that i5 or i7 cpus can be used with ECC-memory and the ECC-function will then be disabled.

I have the option to get 32 gigs (4 x 8 gig) of ECC-memory pretty cheap. I guess it won't work, but in this case it would be ECC-memory and according to the manual ECC is supported up to 32 gigs. But I think because the ECC-function will remain disabled it will only recognize 16 gigs of the memory.

Edit: Bios is updated to the latest version I could find (J51 v01.53).

Does anybody have experience with this?

Best regards,

Tobias

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HP Z210 SFF Workstation - Memory Upgrade options
Memory
4 DIMM slots, supporting up to 32GB ECC/16GB non-ECC, DDR3 1333 MHz
Sub-Section Description/Notes

Intel® Xeon E3, Intel Core i3 and Intel Pentium processors can support either ECC or non-ECC memory; Intel® Core i5/i7 processors only support non-ECC memory.

CTO

Option Kit Part Number
Support Notes
PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered DIMMs CTO
2GB (1x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered DIMMs CTO
2 GB (1x2GB) DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

4 GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

8 GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

12 GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

16 GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered RAM 1-CPU

Sub-Section Description/Notes

Two channels of DDR3 memory are supported. To realize full performance at least one DIMM must be inserted into each channel.

The CPUs determine the speed at which the memory is clocked. If a 1066 MHz capable CPU is used in the system, the maximum speed the memory will run at is 1066 MHz regardless of the specified speed of the memory.

AMO
PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered DIMMs AMO
HP Z210 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM
QC447AA

HP Z210 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered RAM
QC852AA

PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 nECC Unbuffered DIMMs AMO
HP 2GB DDR3-1333 non-ECC UDIMM
XC440AA

HP 4GB DDR3-1333 non-ECC UDIMM
LB435AA

NOTE: Only unbuffered DDR3 DIMMs are supported.

I am a HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I also asked this question to a specialized ram seller.

I got 32 gigs non-ECC ram at 1600mhz running now without problems, which isn't supported according to the manual, but it works like a charm.

Because I got a second HP Z210 with ECC ram I also tested the ECC with the I/ and this also works. So this information in the manual is also wrong.

Best regards,

Tobias

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.